Please sign in to post.

Drivers license

Hi all you travelers- we are renting a car to tour around Ireland - do we need an international drivers license? Cheers,
lynne

Posted by
2876 posts

If your home drivers license is printed in English, and you're driving in an English-speaking country such as Ireland, you don't need an IDP.

Posted by
4535 posts

If your home drivers license is printed in English, and you're driving in an English-speaking country such as Ireland, you don't need an IDP. Yet if your home drivers license has oddities like sticker renewals that still show an old expired date on the front, the rental agent might not be able to figure out whether it is a valid, non-expired license. Then they might ask for an IDP. Since that happened to me in GB, I ALWAYS recommend the IDP.

Posted by
2876 posts

@Douglas - Illinois no longer uses the sticker renewal system. I think it gave people problems here as well as abroad.

Posted by
4535 posts

But other states might. The point is that the IDP is a validation to police AND rental agents that your state license is valid, real and current. We have 50 different licenses, all with their own setup, layouts and quirks.