Please sign in to post.

Going to Wales

Hello! I am planning a trip to Wales because I've always wanted to go. I know that male choirs are a big part of the culture there. Is that exclusively a church thing? How can I hear these choirs? I also wanted to know if there are non-touristic things to do. Is there good hiking? Where can I see beautiful castles? One more question: I love staying in bed and breakfasts in Europe. You really get to know your hosts, and they really take care of you. The hosts really seem to genuinely care. Are there any B&B's that really stood out to anyone in Wales? Thanks

Posted by
9110 posts

'Is there good hiking?' The Welsh Coastal Path does exactly what the name says. The best part is probably the Prembrokshire Coast Path. If you've got time left over after the nine hundred miles, you can pretty much walk the border along the Offa's Dyke Path for another couple of hundred miles. The railbeds in Snowdonia also make a nice walk. So does the Brecons. If you want to stroll down the middle, look at some of the old drover trails. 'Where can I see beautiful castles?' Chepstow, Caerphilly, Kidwwelly, Pembroke, Harlech, Caernarvon, Conwy, and Beaumaris are the best. There's a couple hundred more scattered around. 'if there are non-touristic things to do' Not many tourists stumble around the stone circles, standing stones, cairns, tumuli, miscellaneous megaliths, and hill forts. There's a hell of a bird rock (South Stack) on the northwestern tip of Anglessey if you've never seen a puffin. It'll take some gumption to walk out the bridge.

Posted by
1825 posts

If you like B & B's I would suggest staying on a farm. My favorite in Wales is by Offa's Dyke in mid Wales near Montgomery. It is called Drewin's Farm I think, but if you google 'stay on a farm in Wales' you will have lots to choose from. And, castles, oh my, this is definitely the place. One of my favorite days in Wales my sister and I just drove around Anglesley Island stopping where the map showed ancient sites. We walked through farmer's fields (on legal paths) to see cairns and ruins. It was marvelous.

Posted by
7 posts

My husband and I will be visiting Wales this October, and I am also interested in their choirs. I'm starting to research this & can let you know what I find out. We plan to spend a few days in Wales as part of a larger trip to England, and hope to do some day hikes.