Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Istanbul?

I do not have the Rick Steves guide with me at the moment, but will be getting it from the US in the next 3 days. I would like ideas on where we could stay in Istanbul? On a previous post be me, many people recommended Sultanahmet. But upon reading some other articles, it says its very touristy and not to stay there? Any pros/cons? Should we stay there or should we stay in the European side of Istanbul? Need help please. I am really lost without Rick Steve, but since I am not currently in the US, it is not available in Dubai. :(

Posted by
3120 posts

You're a tourist, is this correct? Do you plan to visit the famous landmarks in Istanbul: Blue Mosque, Agia Sofia, Topkapi Palace, Basilica Cistern, Grand Bazaar, Byzantine Wall, etc? Sultanahmet is the part of Istanbul where these are located and it is also the most interesting section of the city. Don't worry about the other tourists. Just go and enjoy this amazing city. One more thing: Sultanahmet IS on the European side.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Simran,

Many of the major sites are in Sultanahmet (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Spice Market, Archaeological Museum, and more.) It can be somewhat touristy but very convenient--if I were going again, I'd stay in Sultanahmet. You will want to visit the area of Istikalal Street in Beyoglu but with the time you have available, I'd suggest using Sultanahmet as your base.

Posted by
354 posts

Sultanahmet is indeed touristy (and therefore shopkeepers and street touts will call out to you to try to get your attention) but it's very convenient for the main sights: Haghia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace. If one is going as a tourist for a few days, I feel that it doesn't really matter that one's surrounded by other tourists! It's different if you plan to stay for a longer time, eg one month. There are also many hotel options in Sultanahmet. It's very easy to get to the 'new city' using the tram. I'd recommend the Sultan Hill Hotel on a quiet street behind the Blue Mosque, it's in Rick Steves' guide. Friendly, professional, calming, reasonably priced and in a beautifully restored old building. If you want to get away from touristy Istanbul, I'd definitely recommend a boat trip on one of the regular ferries to the 'Asian side' and seeing a different side of the city!

Posted by
30 posts

Sultanahment is a great area to stay. Like several others have stated, it is close to all the sites in the old town. If one needs to go to the new town, the tram stops just meters from Hagia Sophia.

I would also suggest the Hotel Sultan Hill as a place to stay. Fantastic staff right across a side street from the Blue Mosque. Very clean, great breakfast, and the views at night from the rooftop are incredible. I stayed there in September and could not have chosen a better place.

I used this email address to contact them: info@hotelsultanhill.com or check their website for lots of good information.

Posted by
30 posts

Sultanahment is a great area to stay. Like several others have stated, it is close to all the sites in the old town. If one needs to go to the new town, the tram stops just meters from Hagia Sophia.

I would also suggest the Hotel Sultan Hill as a place to stay. Fantastic staff and the hotel is right across a side street from the Blue Mosque. Very clean, great breakfast, and the views at night from the rooftop are incredible. I stayed there in September and could not have chosen a better place.

I used this email address to contact them: info@hotelsultanhill.com or check their website for lots of good information.