Please sign in to post.

Where to Stay in Budapest

We will be staying in Bubapest for 2 nights in Nov. Any suggestions for a clean nice hotel --- I have heard that the Buba side is the best. Any one heard of the Victoria. Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Posted by
448 posts

as usual for questions like this one has to consider what's your price range?? The Victoria is very well known....check traveladvisor.com for reviews

Posted by
1 posts

Hotel Victoria is an okay choice, most of their rooms have a nice view either to the river or the castle, but they are a bit pricey. A nice choice if you are travelling on a low budget is Hotel Charles, also on the Buda side, not far from the city center (very good bus-connection). There's a webpage where you can check out several Budapest hotels, with detailed descriptions, pics and guest reviews: www.budapesthotelstart.com - they have great discounts, especially for off-season periods... Budapest isa cool place, have fun! :)

Posted by
389 posts

I'm with Barry. It's cool for the old Buda feel and the baths, but lots of people don't think they get their money's worth there. Also consider the Starlight Suiten or the Sofitel, both right on the river.

Posted by
25 posts

We stayed at the Intercontinental, right next to the chain bridge. Great location, nice hotel. Too expensive for us normally, but the IC chain had (maybe has) a 2 nights for the price of 1 special so it was under $100 per night.
Kathy

Posted by
42 posts

Try priceline, We got a great deal staying at the 4 star Art-otel (recommended in Rick Steves video)last May at $65 per night. Its only a few steps from the Victoria. Check biddingfortravel website for current info. It will probably be even cheaper in November.

Posted by
1 posts

The Hotel Ibis is a bargain if you don't mind staying in a Holiday Inn type hotel. Great location, clean, and cheap

Posted by
5 posts

Darleen,

I agree with Linda and Barry below. I like the Gellert a lot. And you get enough breakfast to last you easily until dinner.

Posted by
1 posts

I hate to admit it, but by the time we got to Budapest in 05 we were in need of a nice hotel. There was some type of fesitval going on-it was November. We stayed at the (gasp) Marriott. It was right on the river and it was spectaular. I normally do not stay in American hotels in Europe, but my wife and I were glad we made the exception. Since you are traveling the same month we did, you should expect a discount as it is shoulder season. Make sure you get a room with a view of the river and parliment etc.

Great bar/pub too.

Safe Travels

Posted by
156 posts

Hotel Matyas was charming, clean and relatively inexpensive. Good location, centrally located almost in the middle of the Vaci Utca. Close to metro. Ask for a room with a view of the river, castle and Chain Bridge. On the Pest side of the Danube.

Posted by
19 posts

I would actually recommend staying on the Pest side. Buda is nice, but most restuarants, nightlife, and more natives live/hang out on the Pest side. Plus it's closer to the trains and public transportation on the Pest side. I actually stayed in an apartment that we rented for 4 nights. I believe we found it on www.budapesthotels.com. I believe it is called Residence Opera Apartments. It was right by the Opera House, very close to one of the subway stops and close to various popular streets, including Andrassy ut. The owner speaks English and will meet you in front of the building to show you the place. Have fun. Budapest was fabulous!

Posted by
1 posts

I would say the inner districts of both sides of Budapest (Buda and Pest) are gorgeous. They have different flavour - Buda is more posh, Pest is rather a vibrant place where all the ruin pubs are. Anyway, I'd suggest you to have a look around here for good places to stay: www.homieplaces.com/apartments-vacation-rentals/Budapest
The best hotels are in the fifth and first district of the city, but my favourite is the one on the Margaret Island between Buda and Pest.

Posted by
1 posts

I took a quick weekend trip to Budapest on a Blind Booking with German Wings. I googled "best hostels in Budapest" and found Trendy Budapest B&B Hostel. After looking at the website http://www.trendybudapesthostel.com and emailing the host to inquire about my up coming trip... I was sold! It is located within walking distance to most of the large attractions in Budapest. It is surrounded by great places to eat like the Hummus Bar (2 doors down) and Fruccola (around the corner). Location is unbeatable.The breakfast provided was more than adequate. The hosts are the best guys you will ever meet. They keep the place clean and inviting...and you can't beat the price.
I definitely recommend this B&B and will stay there again!

Posted by
15582 posts

I stayed at the Mercure Museum hotel on the Pest side, on the recommendation of friends. Loved it, great staff, great breakfast, very good location. I was much happier being on the Pest side, where most of the sights are and in walking distance when the trams stopped running at night!

Posted by
6502 posts

This is all very interesting but Darleen originally posted nearly six years ago, so she probably doesn't need the information now.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi,
I must have missed something. Why don't you rent an apartment? It is most generally less expensive than a hotel. Last place you would find me is in some cut-rate hotel with a poor location. Seriously, check out what is available for apartments. wayne iNWI