Please sign in to post.

Where to Stay in Athens?

In August, we fly in almost midnight for 4 nights, then fly our early morning to Santorini. Where to stay? Is there enough time for trip to coast? Thanks

Posted by
3141 posts

Your questions are unclear. Are you asking for hotel recommendations in Athens and whether or not you can visit the coastline outside of Athens while you're in town? If so, yes. You might like to go to Sounion Bay to the Temple of Neptune. Please state your hotel budget if you're asking for Athens' recommendations.

Be advised that taxis between Midnight and 5am charge double the day rate. Be sure the meter is set for the appropriate time of day, and if it's set for the night rate (Tariff 2) don't let them charge you double. Asking for a receipt will help keep them honest. It should include the taxi registration number, the license plate and the driver's name.

Posted by
115 posts

Sorry for not making my self clear. I will be arriving Athens Aug 10 around 11:00pm. Leaving airport for Santorini (your recommendation thankyou)Aug 14 early 6 am. Trying to figure where to stay, and how many days do I need in Athens before maybe trying to catch some coast area like Nafplion ( sounded nice) before heading to airport. Or should we just stay in Athens for the 3 full days.I would like inexpesive, since I'm sure we will not be in our rooms much.
Thanks Lee

Posted by
3141 posts

To see all the main sights without killing yourself you need 2 full days in Athens. That doesn't really leave you much time to go outside the city except on a daytrip. Sounion Bay is close. You could also take a ferry ride from Piraeus to Hydra, a charming small island just a couple of hours out of Athens by frequent daily ferry. No cars are allowed on the island which makes it special. The Monastiraki Metro Station is where you would catch the train to Piraeus.

In the future when asking for hotel recommendations it's best if you remember to state your budget in dollars or euro instead of adjectives. "Inexpensive" can mean 500 euro/night to someone used to 5-star luxury.

Check the websites for the newly-renovated Amazon Hotel, the Pan Hotel, Arethusa Hotel, Metropolis Hotel, Cecil Hotel and Attalos Hotel. These are all within walking distance to the Plaka, Syntagma Square and Monastiraki Square.