Please sign in to post.

where to spend Christmas 2008

We are planning to travel to europe from Australia (with our two daughters 23, and 18)for, hopefully a white christmas. Need to interest the girls as well as ourselves. Not sure where to spend christmas and new year. Our list is Krakow, Prague, Salzburg, Wienna, Munich or Swiss Alps, or any other suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Posted by
87 posts

Hi Kathy,
we went to Innsbruck this last new year's day, and were lucky enough to have it snowing in Innsbruck whilst we were there.

Posted by
769 posts

French part of Switzerland along the lakes and ski areas is great. Christmas markets and dog sled up at the slopes.

or try Munich/Bavaria, also great and maybe combine with a trip over to nearby Innsbruck/Saltzburg.

There are lots of winter specials right now - check out Lufthansa web site!

Posted by
194 posts

I spent Christmas 2002 in Munich and it was a wonderful experience. A friend and I, who were travling around western Europe, stayed with a family friend of her's. Maybe it's my German ancestry, but I felt completely at home in Munich on Christmas, despite not spending the holiday with my family.

I can't remember if we had a white Christmas, but I do remember it being really, really cold ...

Posted by
3428 posts

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful trip to Vienna and Salzburg. I'd suggest Salzburg for your Christmas trip. We loved their Christmas Market (we went in late Nov/early Dec) and we have seen many! There is lots to do for all of you and there are great day trips- salt mines, Innsbruck, Sound of Music, Bravaia area of Germany, Salzkamagurt area and Lakes, etc. If you want to splurge stay at the Goldener Hirsch Hotel. It is in the Old Town area and very convient as well as full of atmosphere. Feel free to contact me. (by the way, we loved Austraila when we went 2 years ago, and hope to get to return there someday, too)

Posted by
12040 posts

Anywhere in the Alps gives you a good chance of a white Christmas. For nearly guanteed snow, and if you have an adventurous spirit, you could go to Russia...