Please sign in to post.

Visa for Turkey

In Rick Steve's Istanbul book he states that a visa is purchased at the airport as you enter Turkey and that it is payable in US dollars only (even if you are Canadian). Just wondering if anyone has personal experience with this - not that I'm doubting RS but it seems a little strange that you can't pay in Euros or YTL. And why would Canadians be more than Americans?!

Posted by
120 posts

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like I won't need to have US dollars for the visa, I will be able to pay in euros and that definitely simplifies things. Thanks again.

Posted by
990 posts

Keep in mind that you will be paying extra for the convenience of using euros, unless the exchange rate dips. If you come across US dollars while at home--not uncommon in a lot of parts of Canada--just salt away three twenties and you'll save over the cost in euros.

Posted by
2 posts

"This fee varies from country to country. Don't ask me why, I don't have a clue!"

Visa fees are often based on diplomatic reciprocity: if Canada charges Turks US$60 for a visa to enter Canada, Turkey may charge Canadians US$60 to enter Turkey. Likewise, if Canada imposes no visa fee on Turks, Turkey may not impose a visa fee on Canadians.

For awhile, Turkey reciprocated to the US's $100 visa fee, charging Americans US$100 to enter Turkey; so a family of four was hit with a fee of US$400 just to set foot in Turkey.

Turkey's tourism industry went NUTS. North Americans are among the most valued and free-spending visitors to the country. The high visa fee discouraged NA tourism to Turkey, so the tourism industry was finally able to convince the government that reciprocity, though diplomatically correct, was economically counter-productive.

Tom Brosnahan
TurkeyTravelPlanner.com