Please sign in to post.

Vienna to Budapest

Hello. I will be traveling bt train in October, 2012 from Vienna to Budapest and I want to see Sopron and Gyor enroute. I would like to spend one night in Sopron and see the Esterhazy Palace in Fertod as well as the Pannonhalma Abbey near Gyor. Any thoughts on an itinerary and timeline? I am getting mixed messages about whether the Palace is open on Monday, my travel day. I am grateful for any help. Bill

Posted by
2876 posts

If you want to make all those stops and side trips, why not just rent a car? Vienna and Budapest are only 150 miles apart, and the roads are good. Seems to me your itinerary would be much easier done by car. Esterhazy Palace is open daily 9 AM to 6 PM until November 11, according to their website.

Posted by
17868 posts

Well, the destinations are well worth an effort, and there are trains or/and train owned shuttles between all the stops and it could be done in a logical order..... But it would be a lot of work for two days. Why not take the train to Gyor and set up camp and hit the others by way of a rental car or tour guide? You will find a lot closed in Hungary on Monday.

Posted by
13 posts

I agree with renting a car. Driving Austria and Hungary is fantastic. To be honest though, I didn't care much for Sopron. We spent a day there because of all the great things we heard about it, but after touring Eastern and Central europe for a month, Sopron was definitely at the bottom of the list. Its not a bad place, but can't compete with Vienna, Budapest, Prague, etc. I'd be more inclined to spend that day in Bratislava - about 1 hour east of Vienna. Better yet, if you do have a car, look into Eger, Hungary - about 90 mins east of Budapest by motorway (m3?). Beats Sopron hands down.

Posted by
6 posts

I would like to thank you very much for your opinions. I have decided to stay an extra day in Vienna to visit Schonnbrunn Palace and then on to Sopron for one night visiting Gyor the next day and then on to Budapest directly. Thank you.