Please sign in to post.

Vienna-Budapest-Ljubljana-Vienna - June 2011

We plan a family trip to these cities and surroundings 6/12-7/1. We plan on a river cruise in Buda-Pest, a visit to a concentration camp in Austria, family roots tourism in BudaPest, and other things. We speak passable German, good French, no Hungarian and a little Russian. We plan on taking a pension or apartment in each city for 5-6 days, and possibly renting a car (5 adults). 1) Can we get by in urban Hungary on German and English? 2) Is German a problem in some countries? 3) Is Russian a problem (do some get annoyed)? Any suggestions or must-see thoughts?

Posted by
687 posts

I didn't have any difficulty in any of those places speaking only English. (I do speak some French, but didn't bother trying it.)

Posted by
148 posts

English will be your go-to language in Budapest rather than german. It is not as prevalent as in Vienna, which is not a problem in either english or, of course, german. English is spoken by many but in smaller spots you'll have some issues. Must see....there are the traditional spots in Budapest, and they are worthwhile. One place that is also worth going to is the town of Szentendre. You take the HEV from Batany station. It is the last stop (40 mins north of the city, perhaps less). Cute, small artist town.

Posted by
14535 posts

Paul, In urban Hungary, especially Budapest, you can use both German and English with equal facility. Spent a day in Budapest last summer, no problems at all using German. Budapest caters to the waves of German speaking tourists. When you enter an establishment with "welcome" signs in English and German, you can safely use German there...I did.