Please sign in to post.

Venice to Budapest

I will be leaving Venice this summer and traveling to Budapest. Any ideas of best way, train or plane? Thoughts on places to stay in Budapest for three days.

Posted by
17900 posts

Well you could take the trains. Near as I can tell it's about a 20 hour trip with a few changes along the way. That wouldn't be bad if you have a few days to kill and you break it up into interesting legs with short stays to sight see along the way. Personally I wouldn't ride an overnight train east of Venice, but that's just me. I don't know of any direct flights to Budapest from Venice but I think there is one from Milan. A better option if you have the time would be Venice to Vienna. Spend a few days in Vienna and then take the short train ride to Budapest. Be sure and check the European discount airlines which are not listed on sites like Orbits or TA. They are pretty crummy but cheap and they tend to do routes not served by the mainstream airlines. Where to stay in Budapest? I usually recommend that on the first visit you get out a map of Budapest and find Andrassy ut and the octagonal shaped intersection called the Oktogon. Then from the Oktogon draw a line down the middle of Andrassy ut and continue the line until you hit the Danube River. Then get the best hotel you can afford that within a block north of the line or two or three blocks south of the line. It's arguable but I don't know of a better location for the first visit. I also don't know of a "bad" hotel in that area but there are okay hotels and really great hotels. My favorite mid-price hotel is the K&K Opera. There's a start for you.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi, There is a way to do the Venice to Budapest trip quite easily by train changing only once. I myself would do it this way: take the direct CNL night train Venice-Munich, mandatory reservations. In Munich change to a RailJet (RJ) to Budapest Keleti pu direct, no mandatory reservation. In the summer you can bet that the CNL leg, esp on a week-end, could be sold out, even getting a seat in a six seat compartment.

Posted by
17900 posts

Fred, you are correct. Looks like you could pull that off in under 15 hours. The train through Vienna is a few hours faster but you dont have the luxury of a night train. There are some flights with one stop that take about 6 hours total. Really no perfect solution unless you take advantage of the opportunity to stop along the way and expand your sight seeing.

Posted by
8138 posts

The easiest way to get northeast of Venice is flying. You could fly EasyJet into Berlin and to Budapest on two separate 1 way flights for under 100 Euros. You'd have to buy two tickets, but it beats spending a whole day on trains. See EasyJet.com

Posted by
37 posts

Thanks for all the post. This is being very helpful. I have never flown one of the regional cheap airlines before. Are there any extra restrictions or things to be aware of when flying them? I see that Ryanair has a flight direct to Budapest for 52 euros plus baggage fees. I am a taller guy and I am always worried about leg room.

Posted by
32736 posts

I have never flown one of the regional cheap airlines before. Are there any extra restrictions or things to be aware of when flying them? I see that Ryanair has a flight direct to Budapest for 52 euros plus baggage fees. Todd, It isn't just luggage fees. This is what I wrote a couple of days ago to another poster. Ryanair has the most gotchas but all budget airlines have some, if not many. Just remember the Ryanair rules so you don't wind up paying more.
Check in online (€). Print your boarding pass at home (€). If you forget and need to print out at the airport its something like €60. Each. Don't check luggage (€€) or if you will have to gate check because your carryon is oversize (over Ryanair size) buy with your ticket. Don't expect to sit together (€€). Don't get to the airport late (€€€). Bring your own refreshments, but not liquid until after security. Don't need the toilet. Don't board early (€€). Don't pay to get off first (€€). Then you'll be fine and they will only have a little more of your money.

Posted by
65 posts

Todd, Take a look at Wizair for inexpensive flights from Venice to Budapest and vice versa, but should you elect to fly this low cost carrier, pay attention to their restrictions and requirements. I didn't arrive 2 hours early and found the check-in closed though with no recourse. I ended up changing destinations as I didn't have time for the long train ride. You will love Hungary,
Peter

Posted by
17900 posts

I have booked two flights on Wizzair. The first went off without a hitch. The night before the second flight i was notified of a "Schedule Change" The change was moving the departure from Varna to Burgas, Bulgaria. A mere 120km and 2 hours of driving (if I had a car).