Please sign in to post.

turkish bath

Can anyone please help me find a good Turkish bath in Marmaris - not fancy and no photgraphs etc. Thank you

Posted by
7049 posts

I haven't been to Marmaris, but Lonely Planet Turkey should be helpful in coming up with some options (it is a touristy area though so if you want low key, you'll have to find a truly local one). Not sure what you mean about photographs - it's so steamy hot in the baths, I wouldn't worry about being photographed or recognized.

Posted by
35 posts

thank you - have checked most regular sources - will try lonely planet - my concern about photographs was driven by repeated comments about pictures being taken in two of them that they then try and sell to you -and my sister would kill me if that happened - thanks again

Posted by
7049 posts

Ok, I found you one in my (old) Lonely Planet book - Armutalan Hamam (see link below) You can also ask any hotel where you're staying and they'll find you one - if not in Marmaris, then in nearby locales (I've been to one in Bodrum and one in Istanbul - both very different experiences but none had any issue with photography. Both of the ones I've been to were strictly gender separated. There are apparently some that are co-ed). http://www.hamamcilar.com/about_hamam.htm

Posted by
811 posts

check with your local hotel front desk for recommendation. I visited one in bodrum because the hotel gave me a free basic package including tax round trip and it was pretty good. they'll likely try to upsell some more facial or full body messages and if you barging you can get a good deal. if you haven't done it, definitely do it and get a full body at least. it's pretty cool, and the one I went has a balcony you can hang around after, just to drink tea and chat with the owner or other people.