Please sign in to post.

Turkish Airlines

I just priced a one way flight from Izmir to Istanbul on Turkish Airlines using Expedia and got a price of $600 for 2 adults on a June 5 flight. I then went to the Turkish Airlines web site and was given the price of $225 for 2 adults. At first I thought this must be an "each" price, but ran the search again on both and came up with the same prices for the same flight. My question: has anyone ever dealt with the Turkish Airlines web site and found any problems later with their quoted prices, ala "bait and switch" type?

Posted by
272 posts

Not used Turkish Airlines but I too have looked for flights on this route. Found Pegasus Airlines to be better deal and will probably book with them. Have you checked that airline out yet? I just did a quick search and one adult on a one way flight from Istanbul (Ataturk airport) to Izmir cost $33.76 (including fees and taxes). It seems most days have 3 to 4 different flight times available.

Posted by
507 posts

Charlie - I had a different issue with the Turkish Airways website a few months ago. It was showing a flight available, but wouldn't let me book it. The website would take me through several screens but would fail before I got to the screen to enter names. When I called they said the flight was not available but could tell me what was available for booking. Their information matched what I saw online but the online prices were better and I could actually get through to the booking screen. Several weeks later, I noticed the flight I was trying to book was removed from their website. We ended up not booking with them because we changed our plans and are heading to Samos from Kusadasi.

You might want to call the reservations support and ask about the flights. If they can confirm the flights you are looking at the price is probably legitimate. A few friends booked and flew with Turkish Air last year with no problems.

Pegasus and AtlasJet are cheaper alternatives but those flights aren't until 2-2:30pm. If I remember from your past posts, you are flying out after the RS tour and might not want to wait 3-4 extra hours after getting dropped off at the airport...

Enjoy your trip! I'm envious, we have to wait until September...

Posted by
9 posts

Charlie, I had the same experince for the Ismir to Istanbul flight. I booked the Turkish Air flight with no problem and my credit card was charged the TA web price.

Posted by
2788 posts

Thank you Christy, Julie, and Steven. I still can not get over the price difference between Expedia and the Turkish Airline web site.

Posted by
1547 posts

Charlie: What you see as the difference in pricing is very common on foreign carriers. For example, I'm traveling to Colombia next month and an internal flight between Bogota and Cartagena costs about $200 on Expedia, Travelocity or on Avianca's website if you choose US as your country - but switch the country to Colombia and the price drops to around $60. I am not sure as to the reason for this discrepancy.

I have see the same thing when traveling to India, Vietnam, etc. Expedia, etc. only seem to have the full fares available on their website and not the discount fares.

Posted by
85 posts

this is Gokhan from Turkey Izmir,
I flight 2 3 times in a month to Istanbul for business , I suprized when I saw your mails and just checked www.thy.com.tr
single person one way cost is changing from 69 TL to 179 TL according to the flight time. There are 8 9 flights in the same day.. meanwhile 1USD=1.5 TL that means single person fee is 45 USD to 120 USD upon your chosed flight time.. :)
ciao
ps: www.flypgs.com you can find a bit cheeper options but less number of flights in the same day..

Posted by
284 posts

Charlie,

Sites like expedia do not always have the best prices. You should always check with the airlines directly before buying.

Edwin