Please sign in to post.

Turkish airlines

We are planning to be in Istanbul and want to fly to Cappadocia as well as Izmir. What is your experience with Turkish Air? We have some safety concerns.

Posted by
322 posts

We flew from Izmir to Istanbul this past September . We were very pleased with the service and we amazed to be fed a meal on a 55 minute flight. I would fly them again.
I'm not sure what kind of safety issues concern you but I never felt in any way unsafe.

Posted by
1446 posts

Flew 10hrs Toronto to IST and back last year and was very satisfied. Also flew domestic flights & I was never worried about safety.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you both for your comments. There is a very unflattering article in the March 7th Wall Street Journal about Turkish Airlines. The Turkish Airline Pilots association is concerned that the pilots training is lagging behind and that Turkish aviators need more training. The Chief Executive of the Company is very focused on expansion and after high profile accidents does not make internal changes. Scary reading when you are planning on flying their airline.

Posted by
811 posts

the airplane is a little old and not comfy, but good food. i don't think it's known for being bad with safety record, at least i've used airlines with far worse records and i'm still alive.

Posted by
9110 posts

TurkAir has had three accidents with fatalities in the last twenty-five years. American and United have each had six. However, the two american companies have flown eight to ten times the number of flights as TurkAir.

Posted by
281 posts

I have flown Turkish Air on several occasions both international and domestic segments. While there are always certain aspects of an airline that we, as passengers, are not privy to I always felt safe and the cabin crew was very efficient. The food from Istanbul to Chicago was delightful and yes they do serve meals on shorter flights. I wouldn't hesitate
to fly them again.

Posted by
14 posts

Many thanks for your prompt replies..........nice to have so many "well traveled" responders!