Please sign in to post.

Turkey - May 2011 - Preliminary Itinerary

I will be traveling on my own in Turkey for three weeks in May 2011. I'll have approximately 22 full days available for touring, excluding my travel days. I fly to Istanbul and connect on a flight directly to Kayseri in Cappadocia, where I'll have a rental car for 5 days for easier access to the villages of that region; venture to Nemrut Dagi via organized tour in Malatya; take a bus to explore Amasya and the surrounding area for a couple days; journey onto Safranbolu for a 3 night stay, then fly from Ankara to Izmir to tour the ruins of Ephesus and end in Istanbul, where I'll have a week to explore the city. Is this itinerary feasible? My focus is on history, photography and culture impact. Does anyone have experience using the bus system in the Central Anatolian/Black Sea Coast region? Any suggestions, tips, or comments you have are appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by
3250 posts

I think that your itinerary sounds good though I haven't been to every place you mentioned. For your rental car in Cappadocia I'd get a really good map or GPS to find your way around. Tourist offices probably have good maps also. There really is a lot to see! We were really pleased that we hired a driver for 2 days as he knew the location of all of the cave churches, underground cities, etc. that we wanted to visit. He drove a very efficient route so that we could maximize our time. The cost was $80 per day and we thought it was well worth the money. He even waited for us while we hiked, had lunch in the villages, etc. You might consider doing that for a couple of days and renting the car for 3 days rather than 5. Just a thought. We didn't use the bus system in the Central Anatolian/Black Sea region but did bus from Izmir to Antalya and then from Antalya to Cappadocia. The bus system is excellent! We were also in Turkey in May and it was the perfect weather and not too crowded. Also, you'll be happy that you have 1 week in Istanbul! Enjoy!

Posted by
115 posts

You will love it all, Turkey is an amazing place, cant wait to go back.I agree with Sharon, I dont thin you'll need a car everyday. We stayed in Goreme and I'm really glad we did, it is a very special town. There at the Kelebuk we did 2 tours for about $30 and they were all day, small groups of 8-10 in large vans, and they were the best we have even taken, and we usually prefer to g on our own. It included lost of hiking and undergroud cities. You might want to consifer that option. The tour was amazing. Also we did the torquoise coast which was my favorite, and there we did rent car for 5 days to have the freedom. But anything you do will be wonderfl. have fun.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into a tour and perhaps hiring a driver for a couple days in Cappadocia. Does anyone know if the Gallipoli Battlefields are worth a day trip from Istanbul? Thanks.

Posted by
85 posts

Hi, Chad This is Gokhan from Izmir- Turkey nice plan and program... When you will be in Izmir and ephessus, dont forget to visit SIRINCE VILLAGE near Selcuk .. old, stone, greek village with hand made wines and very good enviorement for photography for bus information,, you can visit www.varan.com.tr which is the best and reliable one in Turkey or you can visit www.pamukkale.com.tr click SEFER SORGULAMA (routes) ; you can buy the tickets in turkey from anywhere later. Ciao Gokhan

Posted by
85 posts

for Galippoli , you can go to Canakkale from Istanbul or Izmir by Bus or Car (5 hours) and visit historical places,, every year there is ANZAK GUNU (days)organized there I advice you to stay in Canakkale and add Troya and Assos in to your program... than you may drive to Izmir by passing Bergama , Ayvalik, Foça , Izmir :) it will be most amazing than flight to izmir...