Please sign in to post.

Turkey itinerary

Hello, Here is my first draft itinerary for May. Any suggestions are appreciated. It may be reversed depending on flight times and prices. We do not plan on renting a car. Day 1. Fly into Izmir, travel from the airport to Selcuk if possible, sleep there. Day 2. Visit Ephesus
Day 3. Bus to Denizli and visit Pamukkale Day 4-6. Bus to Antayla, spend a few days along the coast and walking the Lycian Way 7. Bus to Konya, explore town 8-10. Bus to Goreme, explore Cappadocia 11. Fly from Kayseri to Istanbul, explore Istanbul 12-14. Istanbul 15. Depart Istanbul Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
338 posts

Logistically your plan seems doable and reasonable assuming that you're focusing primarily on key sites. There are very few limited access highways in Turkey, so be sure to account for that with your travel time estimates. Another travel consideration - many of the sites (e.g. Ephesus, Pamukkale, sites in Cappadocia) are located outside of the cities where you'll arrive. You'll need to identify additional local transportation options (e.g. local bus, dolmus/cab, walking, renting a car). One long day is plenty to see the key sites around Selcuk (Ephesus, ruins of the temple of Artemis and Basillca of St. John, Ephesus museum). You'll need to walk about two miles or take a cab to Ephesus. You may want to add a bit more time to Denizli depending on what time you arrive. You'll need to take a bus to Pamukkale/Hierapolis. You may also want a bit more time in Konya depending on what you'd like to see. Two full days plus is sufficient to see some of the main sites in Cappadocia. Consider renting a car to give you more flexability since the top sites (churches, underground cities, fairy chimnies, and caravanisaries) are scattered. Also, driving will allow you to more of the less well known sites. There are some really extraordinary sites that are not well served by public transportation options. Three days will be tight for Istanbul, but you'll still get to see a lot. Be sure to pay attention to hours and days of the week that museums are closed, especially for the locations where you've only got one day. Have fun!

Posted by
11613 posts

While you're in Selcuk, if you have a car, an interesting side trip is to visit the supposed home of Mary, the mother of Jesus, about 7km away. Selcuk also has the remaining column for the Temple of Diana/Artemis, the church of Saint John the Evangelist (with a plaque that says "Please do not walk on the tomb")as noted by Rob, and the ruins of a Byzantine castle. If you're up for it, you can take a dolmus to the Ephesus site, or walk; the site itself is rather extensive.

Posted by
3250 posts

We took a similar trip a few years ago. Here are some thoughts based on our experience: As Rob suggested, you can take a dolmus (mini-van) or cab to Selcuk. If you take a cab your can go directly from the Izmir airport. We took a dolmus but had to first take a cab from the airport to the bus station in Izmir. The hotel staff at Hotel Bella in Selcuk really helped make our stay a pleasant one. They provided transportation to Ephesus and helped us purchase our bus tickets from Selcuk to Antalya for our visit to Cirali (stayed at Hotel Canada) on the coast. The staff at Hotel Bella also drove us to Sirince for an afternoon which was a pleasant place to visit. There is a lot to see around Goreme and for another trip we'd probably stay there but for this trip we stayed at Esbelli Evi, a lovely cave hotel in Urgup. They arranged a driver for us for two days. He took us to all of the sites in the area. He even dropped us off to do some hiking and picked us up at the other end of the trail. Another option for your trip to Istanbul is flying from Nevsehir Airport. We spent 7 nights in Istanbul and found lots to do and see. If you skipped Denizli and/or Konya, you could add time to Istanbul. Have a great time in Turkey!

Posted by
84 posts

Thank you all for the responses. Flights are now booked! I believe we can take a train directly from the Izmir airport to Selcuk. Sharon, did you have a car in Antayla and Cirali? I do not want to get one but I am finding the puvlic transportation may not be convenient for my needs. I think we may have to stay a night in Cirali and 2 in Antayla. Not a big deal, but my wife doesn't like when I drag her from hotel to hotel and we already will be staying in 6 different places. The Konya stop is mainly to break up the bus ride between Antayla and Goreme. Plus this will be a Saturday and we can try to see the dervishes at night. I am still debating between 3 days in Antayla or Bodrum. I can't find a bus frmo Selcuk to Bodrum, so that will make the decision easier. I think we would prefer Antayla either way.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Chad,
We didn't stay in Antalya. We didn't rent a car in Cirali but it was quite a wild ride in a dolmus from the bus station in Antalya to Cirali. When we got near Cirali (it's pretty remote) the dolmus driver put us in someone's private car for the rest of the trip. It was quite scary. If we were to make the trip again, we would consider renting a car at the Antalya bus station if possible - just to drive between Antalya and Cirali. The hotel staff at Hotel Canada helped us book a private van back to Antalya (it wasn't very expensive.) If you have a choice, two nights in Cirali would be good - the hotel has bicycles you can use to explore the area. The hotel staff arranged a night time trip to Chimaera (a natural phenomenon: about a dozen flames issue from a mass of rock with no apparent fuel to sustain them) near Olimpos. The area itself is relaxing with several beach side restaurants. The Roman ruins at nearby Olimpos are fascinating. From Antalya we took an overnight bus to Goreme departing about 8:30 p.m. and arriving about 7:30 a.m. Just in time to see hot air balloons hovering over Cappadocia. We skipped both Bodrum and Konya. After we left Selcuk we spend two nights in Cirali and 4 nights Urgup. Then flew back to Istanbul from Nevsehir.

Posted by
84 posts

Thanks again. Here is the last part of the itinerary planning with which I am struggling (we are going the first week of May): Option 1: Saturday - land in Izmir and go to Selcuk Sunday - Ephesus/Selcuk, bus/train to Pamukkale that evening Monday - Pamukkale Tuesday - bus to Antalya and transfer right to Cirali via dolmus Wednesday - Cirali Thursday - back to Antalya Friday - Antalya Saturday - very early bus to Konya Option 2: Saturday - land in Izmir and go to Selcuk Sunday - Ephesus/Selcuk Monday - Selcuk to Pamukkale late afternoon Tuesday - explore Pamukkale sites Wednesday - bus to Antalya and transfer right to Cirali via dolmus Thursday - Cirali - to Antalya that evening or next morning Friday - Antalya
Saturday - very early bus to Konya Further to option 2, I could spend Wed-Fri all in Antalya and do a day trip to Cirali, seeing the Chimaera in the evening and finding a way back to Antalya somehow (any suggestions? assuming I do not rent a car). Option 1 obviously makes my coastal time more relaxing but might rush Ephesus/Selcuk/Pamukkale, especially after flying in the night before. Option 2 makes teh front end more relaxing. Any advice or experiences would be helpful. Thanks!

Posted by
3250 posts

Cirali is a nice relaxing place to stay and we highly recommend it! It's worth at least a day and one overnight. It's not feasible to do a day trip to Cirali as it's 1.5 to 2 hours by dolmus to the junction where the dolmus drops you off for the mini-bus ride to Cirali (assuming that the mini-bus is available.) It's another 10-15 minutes on a curvy road to Cirali. I'd prefer your option 2 but this part of your trip seems rushed to me. I'd also suggest searching the Trip Advisor forum or posting there for other opinions.