Please sign in to post.

Turkey Entrance Fees as of September 2008

Just got back from Turkey (Sept 2008) and was shocked at the almost doubled prices for entry fees.
Istanbul:
Aya Sofia: 20 YTL

Underground Cistern: 10 YTL

Topkapi Palace: 20 YTL

The Harem at Topkapi 15 YTL

Ephesus:
Entry into Ephesus: 20 YTL
Terrace Houses, Ephesus 15 YTL

Selcuk Museum: 5 YTL

Saklikent Gorge: 5YTL

Posted by
12 posts

Hi Kerri,

Can you tell me exactly what is the entrance fee? my first time to Turkey (istanbul) will be in Dec 08. also do we need a visa? we are US citizen. Any recommendation for hotel, tours, restaurant?

thank you
Kim

Posted by
3122 posts

U.S. Citizens don't need a visa. They pay a fee when they enter the country and get a 90-day 'visa' stamp in their passport.

Kerri, what is the current fee to enter Turkey? When I was there several years ago it was USD $20 but I know there have been changes since then.

Posted by
11 posts

Dear Global Family,
it is $20 US dollars to enter, per person. It takes all of about 3 minutes.... very easy! Kerri

Posted by
191 posts

Thank you so much for your post, I am traveling to Istanbul in May and just did up my budget with the cheaper prices. I am suprised the prices have gone up so much, but have found this in most cities in Europe. I just hope I can get some student discounts!

Posted by
3122 posts

P.S.

Take U.S. Currency for your entry fee.

Posted by
25 posts

Prices were raised, most doubled, for state-run sights effective August 1. Unfortunately, student discounts only apply for Turkish citizens.

I wonder how the increases have affected attendance?

Posted by
3122 posts

Just to clarify, I meant, "Take U.S. Currency for your VISA entry fee."

Posted by
128 posts

About the entrance fee. Will they take euros or just USD? We are currently living in Germany with a trip planned to Istanbul this February. Have a few USD and could take that, but just curious if you have a US passport do you need USD? Thanks

Posted by
1556 posts

Neither. Turkey uses the New Turkish Lira which is what you will need to have.

Posted by
990 posts

For the visa entrance fee to get in, you must pay in euros, US dollars, or GB pounds. Not Turkish lira or any other currency. At the moment, you're best off to use US dollars, since you'll actually pay more in either of the other currencies.

For entry fees to museums or sites, it's Turkish lira only, of course.

By the way, as of this January there is a new Turkish currency being phased in. If you are going before then, you should spend down your "old" Turkish currency before you leave to avoid the hassle of trying to turn it in before the deadline when it becomes worthless. (I forget exactly when that will be, but it is usually within a couple of years of conversion.)

Posted by
16 posts

Here is a tip on the entry process:

Get your visa FIRST, before you get into the passport check line.Saw a few folks wait 20-30 min in the very long passport lines (hot and sweaty in October), get up to the window and they get sent to the visa window (which had no lines-pay your $20US and away with you) and then back into the passport lines for another half hour que.

Posted by
286 posts

Yep, the entrance fees were definitely dear! Topkapi takes credit cards but Hagia Sofia is cash only and that went up to 20 YTL as well. No student discounts on either.

As for visa fees... you can pay by USD, Euro, or GBP. When I entered on the 26th of Dec the rates were $20, €15 or £10 which at the time of the delving pound was 30, 31 and 22 YTL respectively.

I arrived from London and they assumed most would pay by GBP but regardless of passport they would have taken Euro or USD but not YTL.

I carried all of the above and did quick conversion in my head when I heard the different rates. Obviously, there was no update on current conversion lately.

Posted by
128 posts

Thanks for all the information on entrance fees and VISA requirements for Turkey. As we have a flight to IZMIR 2.5 hrs. after landing in Istanbul, time will be important. It is not a connecting flight so we will have our luggage with us. A good reason also for carryon luggage.