Please sign in to post.

Turkey

This will be my first experience at foreign travel. I am a woman, traveling alone and am a little...ok a lot nervous about getting from the airport to the hotel by myself. Is this safe? I am a little country girl with little experience in a city. I need some tips from experienced travelers please.

Posted by
1840 posts

Dear Little Country Girl. One of your sisters taught me everything I know so I'll see if I can help you. If you have booked a hotel for four nights the hotel and you can make arrangements for you to be picked up at the airport. Stayed at the St. Sophia Best Western for five nights and they have a policy of pick-up that we used. You have to make the arrangement by email. You can make your own reservations at the hotel by email also. One of the places you will have to stop in the airport is the visa counter. The person there will relieve you of twenty US dollars and put a visa stamp in your passport. Other people who have posted here will suggest different hotels, but the one we stayed in was right next to Haggia Sophia, and within comfortable walking distance to everything in the old downtown as well as the train station. Let me know if I can help further. An older experienced gentleman

Posted by
9110 posts

Assuming you're talking about Istanbul/Ataturk: My much-younger sister passes through there (alone) a few dozen times a year. And makes it from the airport into the city at all hours (alone). I passed through that airport seven times last year, and went into town twice. One of those times my wife caught up with me and made it to the hotel (alone) at night. I've never known anybody worried about being head-bonked. Have at it.

Posted by
281 posts

Sharon, In case you are not staying in Istanbul for 3 or more nights (that seems to be the requirement for complimentary transportation from the airport to your hotel) just go out and take a taxi to your hotel. I am not sure of the current fare and of course it depends on the time of day you are arriving. DO NOT worry about your safety as you will be safe in Turkey. Do ask or agree on a fare before getting into the taxi. Be sure you know if it is Turkish Lira or US Dollars. Do not be intimidated by anything you read about Turkish men or anyone trying to sell you a carpet! Just ignore them and keep walking. As mentioned, you will have to purchase a visa upon arrival so put $20 USD aside. Then procede to immigrations and customs. There are ATM's available in the airport (I believe you go downstairs). Exchange money before leaving the airport so that you are prepared. You will love Turkey..the people, the food, the history. I hope you enjoy your trip and let us
know if you have other questions.

Posted by
811 posts

consider staying in a youth hostel. there are plenty young people to go out together, and that helps with gaining experience.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone. I feel a little bit of courage beginning to grow inside. ; )

Posted by
338 posts

I think most of the other comments have hit upon the most common options for getting from the airport to your hotel. As mentioned previously, some hotels offer a pick-up service. There are private buses that provide transfer service between the Airport and Sultanahmet (main tourist area). This is a good budget option that I have occasionally used to return to the airport. You may want to e-mail your hotel and ask for a recommendation. You could use the Havatas bus or metro system, but I would not recommend it since this is your first foreign trip. I have most often used a taxi to get to my hotel simply because it is the quickest option. I have not had a problem with this method. There is good signage at the airport for the taxi stand. Make sure you have the name of your hotel and its address if you use this option. This web site has a good summary of options:
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/airport_trans.html You'll find that most shops, restuarants and sites in tourist areas will either have staff that speak some English or will have English menus, signs, etc. So you should be able to communicate at some level. One tip - take a business card from your hotel when you're out sightseeing. If you get lost you can always use it to ask for directions or to give to a taxi driver. Good luck!

Posted by
1175 posts

Hi Sharon,
You might check out www.tripadvisor.com, type in Istanbul forum and ask your questions there. On TA are several residents of Istanbul and veteran Istanbul travelers that can guide you to some excellent websites with all sorts of very helpful advice for travelers. You can learn so much from the Istanbul forum that we feel like we've been there before. We are going in late April and have used their advice extensively.

Posted by
1010 posts

Hello, My husband and I were in Turkey in September. We were very disappointed in Istanbul and Cappodocia. We were on a combination ruise and bus tour with Tauck. We started in Athens and ended in Istanbul. We ened up staying in the crappy hotels in Istanbul and one good one with the tour. FIve peple on our tour were cheated by the taxi drivers there. Only get a taxi at your hotel. We were warned even at our hotel, not to get a taxi off the street. One of our tour people got in a huge fight. Some of the taxi drivers aren't allowed to go up near the hotels, as sthey have a reputation for cheating. The drivers don't want to get in a fight with the hotel staff, so they dump their passengers off before the taqxi enters the hotel driveway. I mean it is really pathetic. Don't get a taxi over by the Spice Market or the Grand Bazaar. either. Tghe Grand Bazaar is a smelly smokey place. Both my hsubadn and I got sick fro all the smoke there and in Istanbul. We know numerous people who have loved Turkey and just as many who wouldn't go back there if you paid them. Our other friends were in Istanbul on an Oceania cruise and they didn't like Turkey either. They were there the same time we were there. The bathroom situation is really bad. Sometimes there aren't any toilets, just holes in the ground. That is the case over by Saint Sophia too, a main tourist attraction. We had a tour guide almost the whole time we were in Istanbul. We were there for a whole week, which was six days too much. Everybody tries to sell you some rugs or junk. If you like a lot of smoke and rude and pushy people, you wil be happy there.

Posted by
29 posts

Sharon,
I loved Turkey! I am sorry that Elaine did not have that experience. The history and culture is so complex and interesting, and there is much to learn in Turkey. Sure, Istanbul can be crowded and noisy, the vendors are "enthusiastic" and many people smoke. As a woman, I understand your nervousness, although I traveled with my husband. We spent three days in Istanbul before joining a RS tour and then and additional two days after the tour. Check out the Trip Advisor Turkey and Istanbul forum. There's lots of good info there and several Istanbul residents who can answer specific questions. You can also find trip reports of women who traveled alone. Getting to the hotel: Your hotel can arrange transportation even if it costs extra. Being met at the airport when you're tired from a long trip can be worth the money. Enthusiastic or aggressive vendors: Just ignore them. Say no and walk on. Toilets: Most public places have toilets like ours. But it can't hurt to practice ahead of time how you would maneuver your clothing while squatting. Bring your own tissues and hand sanitizer. PM me if you have other questions or want a pep talk! Marty S

Posted by
3696 posts

Sharon... I traveled there this past summer with my 10 year old grandson and we both loved it. As I had not been there before and had the responsibility of Joshua (the grandson) I decided it would be a good idea to have a ride waiting for us. It was arranged by the hotel and for $25 we had someone there with my name on a card and it was so easy. I stayed at the Old City Viva (per referral from someone here) and it was reasonable and centrally located and had a great breakfast. True, there are lots of people who smoke (as in lots of Europe) but I found the people to be friendly and personable. If you don't want to buy a rug you just say no, or ignore them. I have been ripped off by taxi driver in NYC, Rome, Milan, Nice, LA, etc.....
Most people who travel to Turkey with a sense of intrigue and adventure will find something redeeming. We loved the culture and the food and thought it was an amazing experience...we didn't expect America, and we didn't get it.

Posted by
1507 posts

We were in Istanbul last Sept. for 7 days. We're in our mid-60s and had no trouble and felt safe at all times. Since we stayed in our hotel for 7 days they sent a van to pick us up at the airport for free. On the return we paid 10TL each. We were within walking distance of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and many other sights. We loved Turkey - the people were friendly, helpful, and all around great; the food delicious; the sights spectacular. After Istanbul we went to Cappadocia for 5 days. Same experience - the scenery and historical sights were spectacular, ditto the nice people and great food. Yes, some people try to sell you things but we experienced very little of this. When we travel we are aware that we are going to a different country with a different culture and different food. That's why we go. We always have a great time and hope you do to!

Posted by
4 posts

Thankyou so much everyone! Your suggestions are all very helpful and I appreciate hearing all the different experiences. I am not too worried about squatty-potty (been a back packer for 35 years) and definetly don't expect America. I am going to experience the history, the culture, the people and of course the food. You have all given me the courage to make it through that airport, experience some sites on my own before meeting up with my RS tour group. Will follow alot of the advice given here!
Have an interest in Raks Sharki-Turkish style-(Belly Dance) did anyone experience that on your travels?

Posted by
1 posts

Sharon,
I traveled to Turkey with my mom in 2010. I was a little nervous about traveling to Turkey as well. I booked everything through a Turkish travel agent, which included airport transfers. I don't know how much that cost since it was a package deal, but it was luxurious and stress-free to have someone meet you at the airport with your name on a sign. However, after having been in Turkey, I would not feel uncomfortable at all getting to my hotel or around the tourist areas of Istanbul by myself. In fact, later in the trip I had to travel to the airport in the middle of the night to re-book a flight (see below) and everything was finethe hotel called the taxi for me. I found the Turkish people to be delightful. Of course there are pushy merchants, etc, showing you carpet after carpet, but you can view it as entertainment! We ended up getting stranded in Istanbul for a few extra days at the end of our trip due to the Icelandic volcano. It allowed us to see the Chora Church, which turned out to be one of my favorite things of the whole trip. We didn't plan to include it originally because it is a bit out of the way. We took a taxi on the way there to minimize the time. Well worth it! I would highly recommend this churchI would choose it over the popular Bosphorous cruise if you have limited time. The only place someone tried to "rip us off" was in the area of the fish restaurants. Checking our bill carefully paid off! Have a great time. You may be surprised at how a small town Idahoan can adapt to Istanbul!

Posted by
964 posts

Just want to add- I went to Turkey twice last year and absolutely love it. I guess not everyone can have a good experience, but I did. To me, Istanbul is the most magical city. Yes, they try to sell you stuff- but I never met anyone who was rude about it, or annoyed when I didn't buy anything. Just smile and keep walking. The tram service around the city is very easy to use, and inexpensive, so you don't have to get taxis. The Rick Steves guide book for Istanbul is excellent. Have a wonderful time. And go for a Turkish bath!

Posted by
108 posts

Hey Sharon
Yes Turkey is a little intimidating at first - English being the third language, after Turkish and German - but don't let that stop you. Yes I found the Istanbul airport a little overwhelming (btw, if by chance you are flying business or first class, you will be expedited through customs, which will save you a few hours). If you are like most people, you'll have to wait through long lines once you land. Yes, you'll have to get a visa, but it's simple and cheap. One thing I did encounter, which I want to alert you to.... even though I notified my bank that I would be traveling, the ATM at the airport wouldn't recognize my bankcard/ did not allow me to draw out cash (if I were alone, I would have panicked a bit); luckily, my husband was there with me on this trip and his bankcard worked, and we were able to access money. LIke other posts, I would advise you to make arrangements for transfer from the airport through your hotel - someone will greet you with a sign. Note, though, that our driver was 30 min late so I was panicked about that too (which led me to try to access cash to get a cab, but then the atm didn't work and so on, so forth). However, you won't have these issues, and if by slim chance you do, you'll remember this post and realize that everything willl be just fine. I really enjoyed turkey - yes it's hectic and people are constantly trying to sell you something - but if everything were like home, why go there? I loved the history of the place and loved tryign the food and seeing the sites. Enjoy yourself, you're going to have a great time! brenda