Please sign in to post.

Travel to Prague in early October 2008

We are contemplating a trip to Prague in early October and need information on flights. Best to fly into London, Frankfurt, directly to Prague? Advice, anyone?

Posted by
258 posts

Consider doing an open-jaw flight if you want to visit more than just Prague. Last fall I flew into London and out of Prague. Being the fall is not peak season the rates are fairly reasonable. I paid $650 for my flight as a student. I think regular flights were going for about $700+, but don't recall exactly. Kayak.com is great for looking up flight prices, just chose multiple cities for an open-jaw flight - it can search on this. I would say wait until 2-3 months out to purchase the tickets - at least that is what I found last fall to be the best time to purchase.

Prague was wonderful - Have Fun!!!!

Posted by
7209 posts

Wife and I went to Prague last October, and the weather was perfect...cool, crisp with lots of sunshine. The city is beautiful. October is a great time to go.

Posted by
78 posts

My wife and i are going in october also. Were flying from atlanta to belgium and spending 4 days there, mainly in brugge, then flying out of brussels to prague. we'll be in prague for 5 nights and 4 full days, flying out of prague back to atlanta. Total ticket price was $850 per ticket. Not too bad

Posted by
30 posts

My husband and I are going to Central Europe in July and found it cheapest to go round trip into London, and then buy separate tickets to fly from there. As other people have suggested, open-jaw might be a good option if you don't want to deal with stop-overs.

Posted by
30 posts

Also, I checked all the "cheap" travel sites such as smartertravel, orbitz, travelocity, cheapflights, expedia, as well as looking directly at airline websites for special deals.

Posted by
290 posts

I travel to Prague every year & happen to be going to Prague as well end of Sept through mid Oct 2008. No direct flights to Prague unless you are leaving from the east coast. You are in Denver, so no matter what you will have to connect. I avoid Frankfurt like the plague as it takes 2.5hrs just to get to the connecting flight there. Most airports have a way for folks to connect their flight without going through security again, not Frankfurt, unless they've changed something within the last year. Munich flights have a high chance of being delayed or cancelled due to weather, like fog of all things. Up until the T5 mess up, London was OK to connect. Amsterdam Schiphol has been OK & that was my pick for this year. Got two tickets for $902 each round trip from SFO tax and fees included.

Posted by
1555 posts

Keep in mind that the UK has astronomical taxes on air tickets. For this reason, I would advice you not to buy tickets either ending or originating in the UK. If you are just connecting through all on the same ticket, it isn't so bad.

I much prefere FRA to LHR - though sometimes the gates can be very far apart. In FRA, the minimum connecting time is still 45 mins while in LHR I think it is more like 90 or 120 now.

Posted by
290 posts

One more thing to consider: make sure you get your ticket through a big european held company like British Airlines, Lufthansa, or KLM. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually a buy American person, but if something goes wrong with your return flight over there they have to take care of you by Eurounion law, unlike an American held company which don't have to follow the same rules. 2 yrs ago I had a mid Oct flight from Prague connecting through Munich cancelled due to fog. Lufthansa rebooked me on a flight that day to Frankfurt to catch the first flight back to SFO the next morning. I got to Frankfurt, went to the claims counter & showed them my Id. The very polite lady there gave me a hotel voucher at where they put up their flight crews, a dinner & a breakfast meal voucher at the hotel's restaurant, and vouchers for a shuttle to hotel and back to airport for the next morning. It definately beats sleeping in an airport waiting for the next day's flight as other folks using United or American.

Posted by
290 posts

One more plus of european airlines - beer & wine (including champagne) all free!!!! Believe me, there's nothing worse than paying $5 for a beer or low quality wine when they already got $600-$1400 out of you for the ride.