Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

Has anyone had experience with travel insurance? We are leaving for Europe tomorrow and I had not considered insurance, but in two weeks we will leave Switzerland for Greece and with the turmoil (strikes and flight cancellations) I'm worried that that there is a chance that we could see our flight canceled. Is it possible to buy insurance for just the Greece portion of out trip, since I'm not too worried about the Swiss leg. And is it now too late to purchase insurance? Thanks, For any help.

Posted by
635 posts

I am pretty sure it's too late to purchase insurance. Usually, they want you to commit to the insurance about the same time you commit to your agenda. Personally, I have typically not bought travel insurance except for a couple of river cruises. I did but travel insurance for a September trip to the UK but it was mostly to make my wife happy. Her father is not doing real well and she didn't want us to be out a bunch of money if he gets worse. I bought a $2000 policy to cover the deposits I've made to the B&Bs and what I'd lose to change the airplane tickets. It cost $130. Also personally, I wouldn't book a trip to Greece or Egypt at this point. If I already had made plans for Greece, I'd go but realize I may have to be flexible if cancellations occur. Good luck.

Posted by
687 posts

You could check on insuremytrip.com but at this point it is almost certainly too late to insure against trouble in Greece, given that it's already started. What's your itinerary? If you avoid Syntagma Square you'll likely be fine unless there are strikes. If you're on the islands you may well notice nothing.

Posted by
38 posts

Hi, We fly into Athens, rent a car, and drive to Peloponnese. I'm not too worried about trouble once there, but rather more about the possibility of the flight being canceled or delayed and having to pay for lodging in Switzerland while we wait for a rescheduled flight. But a guess a couple of nights lodging wouldn't be too much more than the cost of the insurance. Thanks, R

Posted by
2115 posts

Travel insurance companies will often keep a "strike list," which will exclude coverage for certain countries/places after a certain date for certain things...such as "General Strike in Greece," or "Bristish Airways Strike." So, even if you were to purchase travel insurance, most likely uprisings in Greece would not be covered should the flight be cancelled. It is possible to have trip cancellation for "any reason," covered, but as other posters mentioned, that coverage has to be taken out within a week or two of when you make your first deposit commitment for a trip. Last year we were very concerned about flying into Athens, but everything turned out to be just fine. Airlines (and even hotels) will often work with a traveler when things like uprisings happen.....just kindly ask the hotel, if you've made advance payments, etc. They do want tourists to have enjoyable visits.

Posted by
32219 posts

Ricardo, Just to clarify, what type of insurance are you referring to - trip cancellation, medical or baggage??? As you're leaving tomorrow, I suspect it's too late to get ANY insurance, unless you can pick something up at the airport. Note that for driving in Greece, you'll require the compulsory I.D.P. I've found that some rental agencies won't rent vehicles without it. Happy travels!