Please sign in to post.

Travel in Turkey

With only 1 wk for travel in Turkey, I am considering renting a car in Istanbul to drive to Ankara & Cappadocia. Would that be a more efficient way to get there than a bus?

Posted by
687 posts

The most efficient way to get from Istanbul to Ankara is the night train. You could rent a car there, or take a bus.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks!
Is the night bus like our coach buses? Our more rustic?

Posted by
3250 posts

The buses in Turkey are very nice. We took 2 long bus trips - one from Selcuk to Antalya and also an overnight bus from Antalya to Cappadocia (Goreme.) There is an attendant on the bus, they serve snacks and tea, and make a rest stop about every 2 hours. We used the Kamil Koc bus service but there are many. With limited time, I'd consider flying to either Ankara, Kayseri or Nevshehir.

Posted by
354 posts

When making your decision, keep in mind the logistics of moving between these places. With a rental car, driving from Istanbul to Ankara takes maybe 5 hours, Ankara to Goreme (Cappadocia) another 5 or so hours, Goreme back to Istanbul around 10 hours. Flying Istanbul to Ankara or Cappadocia will take roughly half a day when factoring in transport to airports, check-in, security, flight, etc. All of this means that just the driving or flying portion of your itinerary will eat up 1 or 2 of your 7 days. Night travel by bus would give you full use of your days, assuming you can sleep on a bus. If you are also including Istanbul as part of your week in Turkey, consider choosing between Ankara or Cappadocia (not both), so that your overall trip is not hectic and rushed.

Posted by
272 posts

i think that with only a week and your desire to see those 3 places, having to drive might make things too rushed. there is an overnight train from ankara/istanbul that would save you some time (not to mention cost of a hotel one night). also the bus service is very good and i am sure there are overnight buses. granted, you are on the road as you would be driving a car but at least you can nap/rest if you are on the bus! finally, i found intra-Turkey flights to be cheap. Check out Pegasus Air. If you had more time I think driving around Turkey would be an interesting experience. But to get the most out of the places you are going to, I suggest other modes of transport. Fascinating place!! ENJOY!

Posted by
1010 posts

My husband and I will be in Istanbul at the end of our Greek/Turkey Tauck cruise in September. We then are taking a Gray Line tour from Isanbul to Cappodochia. We will fly from Istanbul for two nights in the Cappodochia area, including the recommened hot air balloon ride over Cappodochia. Then after two nights away and three days, we fly back to Isanbul. Gray Line does an outstanding job on their tours. We have used them in Rome, Paris, London, Bruges, Canada, Australia, Boston and New York.

Posted by
85 posts

hi, I advice you the plane if possible, than bus (www.varan.com.tr) ,
car would be too long and not efficient due to the route has not to many arguments to visit/see