Please sign in to post.

Train from Prague to Vienna

We have ditched our trip to London this year and are booked for ten days to Prague and then Vienna (open jaw). The Prague/Czech tourism sites weren't working recently and I'd like advice on trains from PR to VI. RS book says five sheduled/day. Which station do they depart/arrive from and must you change anywhere? Which rail company operates them? Thanks in advance for advice.

Posted by
1568 posts

Here is the link (in English) for the CR train and bus schedules: http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusy/spojeni/?lng=e Just to get an idea I used 10.1.13 (Jan 10) and the time as 06:00. You can tell it is a train by the smoke above the train....the bus does not have the smoke bubbles. LOL. Once you enter your search....click on Connection Details and it will show you the time of each stop along the way. You have to decide whether you want to take the bus or a train.

Posted by
1568 posts

Just click on NEXT for schedules for later in the day.

Posted by
811 posts

train is more comfortable. i recall prague has 1 central train station, and 1 bus barn where all the long distance buses operate. i don't think you change anywhere. i haven't been to the vienna bus station, but the train station is pretty centrally located you can get a subway out very easily.

Posted by
4637 posts

There are 8 direct trains from Prague to Vienna (no change of train). Most of them take 4 h. 45 min. There are of course more connections where you have to change trains. But why not to take direct trains. All direct trains are leaving from Praha hlavni nadrazi (Prague main train station) and most of them are arriving to Wien Meidling and some to Wien Praterstern and Wien Westbahnhof. Wien (in English Vienna). The trains are either operated by CD (Czech railways) or OBB (Austrian railways). For schedule you can also look at Deutsche Bahn website. It is easier to orient yourself on it than on czech website. The easy way to get on Deutsche Bahn website: on the top of this page click on Favorite Links and scroll to Deutsche Bahn (it's under headline Rail).

Posted by
8141 posts

Travel between Prague and Vienna is relatively short @ 150 miles. It's not a major trip timewise.

Posted by
4637 posts

150 miles seemed to me to be short so I checked it and from Prague main station to Vienna Meidling it is 420 km = 261 miles.
Paul, you don't have to book your ticket from here. Just buy your ticket when you get to Prague. It will be simpler.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks all for the advice. I will check (Czech-LOL) the schedule for direct train times and cost for two. The Helpline is terrific. Blessings