Please sign in to post.

touring Morrocco

My husband and I are planning to see Morrocco this January. ALthough we have looked into tours we do not enjoy touring on a bus with thirty other tourists. However we are not sure that traveling around Morrocco without a trusted guide is a very good idea. Can someone give us any information about affordable small guided tours or doing it on our own. Thank you

Posted by
6788 posts

Depending on where you want to go, you might do just fine without any sort of "guide". Are you comfortable traveling around Europe on your own? Morocco is not really that hard to do on your own. It's actually a very popular destination for masses of Europeans. Think of Morocco as "Europe's Mexico" and a lot of the parallels fit (well, not as much beer as in Mexico...). You might be surprised at how much the advent of cheap airfares have changed travel in Morocco.

Posted by
417 posts

David makes a very good point. After having been there, Morocco is easier to do than I initially thought. While very exotic to Americans, loads of Europeans visit.

Posted by
417 posts

Scotti, Where are you thinking of going in Morocco? If you give us some details on timeframe, time of year, and what interests you, I am sure that we can give you some better information.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for the replies. Although Sahara Treks have very interesting tours, the replies about traveling to Morocco without a tour and how doable that is is what I was trying to find out. That is our preference so any other suggestions or advice about traveling in Morocco on our own is appreciated.

Thanks again,

Scotti

Posted by
3696 posts

Went to Morocco for the first time in May with a group of photographers and we did have a guide, but I have traveled Europe & Mexico & Guatemala by myself and would also equate it to Mex. or guat. Just have to be streetsmart. We did take a bus to the most incredible place called Chefchauen(sp) It was amazing. Are you planning on driving while there? If you PM me I can send you the link to see my images from the 'blue town' and also try and find the name of the hotel. Probably a 2star but great location and we had great food there. In Tangiers we stayed at the Ramada Inn and as it was near the end of our trip we were ready for some internet, english speaking, beachfront location and american amenities! Also visited Assilah and it was great. Loved Morocco! and the food was amazing!

Posted by
8 posts

I toured Morocco a few years ago. We booked a day tour from the south of Spain...Algecira. It was on a bus with approximately 25 people. They had other options of small tours for a higher price. I would not recommend you tour this city on your own. It was a great experience and we enjoyed it tremendously.

Posted by
8 posts

Morocco is quite "doable" without a guide for folks with prior experience with independent travel. The basic tourist circuit of Fes-Meknes-Rabat-Casablanca-Marrakech is easily negotiated via convenient train service. Traveling south of the Atlas mountains (Ourzzazate/Zagora/Merzouga, etc.) is a bit more tricky. Here you either need a rented car (4WD is better) or to join a tour (transport is usually via large Range Rovers or equivalent.)

While not absolutely necessary, it DOES help if you speak rudimentary French. The only place I found a guide useful was my first day in Fes. (It's easy to get lost in that medieval labyrinth.)

Ultimately, I think whether to tour or travel independently in Morocco comes down to your comfort level. In a few places, the hassle factor can be considerable. If you can handle touts with aplomb, you're all set. If not, having the additional insulation/protection of a guide can be very reassuring. My wife and I had a great time traveling in Morocco on our own. The people were very friendly and welcoming. Still, I did encounter folks who felt intimidated and generally non-plussed during their time there. As is often the case, much depends on your level of preparation and on your self confidence.

Good luck, whichever way you choose to go. January is a great time to visit Morocco!

Posted by
2 posts

I saw Scotti's post and have similar travel issues as her. We are going to Morocco in Dec. and are very comfortable traveling and making arrangements but I want some good guided tours each day.

What I am looking for are full or half day guides for Marrakech, Fes, and Meknes area who are knowledgeable about history, culture etc. All I am able to find is full-fledged arrangements for riad, etc, and they are very very pricey. I am very willing to pay for knowledge but I don't need private transportation, etc. That is a waste in walking cities. Anyway if any of you have had any luck, please let me know,
Thanks so much.