Please sign in to post.

Tipping in Greece

What kind of tipping is expected in Greece for waiters, tour guides, taxi drivers etc.

Posted by
3132 posts

Tipping is not a commonly accepted practice in Greece (even in restaurants, beyond any small change that might be returned to you), but if you feel you must then do so according to your personal response to the service rendered. There is no specific guideline but anything over 10% would certainly be overkill. Tipping a taxi driver is definitely not necessary unless he performs some service over and above his normal function as driver. The one exception to this that comes to mind would be, for example, tipping someone who carries your bags down all the steps needed to reach your hotel if you're staying in a cliffside village on Santorini. These people deserve everything they get!

Posted by
2876 posts

We had a couple waiters in Greece say to us, in a not too subtle fashion, "the tip is not included in the bill." (I'm not going to divulge whether or not they were successful.)

Posted by
42 posts

10% is about right. I don't tip taxi drivers because they already tend to overcharge foreigners, and I've never had any of them make an issue of it.