Please sign in to post.

Thinking of taking a holy land cruise for Oct. 15, 2011

Does anyone know if that is a bad month to go, I've heard too many religious holidays, many things are shut down...Any info sure would help, please!!!

Posted by
1567 posts

You need to tell us where you are going and the dates so we can figure out whether you need to look at the Jewish, Islamic or Gregorian calendar and figure out what holidays may occur when.

Alternatively, you should be able to do a search and figure out which festivals are occurring in that time and then reask whether things are really shut down during that festival in that particular city.

Posted by
15 posts

Want to be sure the cities aren't closed down when we get off the ship, we'll be in Nazareth/Galilee Israel Oct 20th 2011, Jerusalem/Tel Aviv Israel, Oct21,Cairo, Egypt,the 22 Oct.....

Posted by
1568 posts

No Jewish holidays during your stay in Israel. Don't know about Egypt.

Posted by
1567 posts

A quick google search shows that in 2011 Ramadan will run from Aug 1 -30 and Eid-al-Adha is around Nov 6th. So I would guess there are no festivals during the time you are traveling.

Posted by
15643 posts

October 21, 2011 is a Friday. Sunset is probably a little after 5 pm. and public transportation stops around 4. If you aren't on a tour, you can get a taxi back to the port in Ashdod, from either Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. I'd spend the day in Jerusalem. If you want to see anything outside the Old City, best to do it in the morning, as most things there close in the early afternoon.