Please sign in to post.

Spring 2012 Itinerary Critique (2nd draft)

Mar 16:Travel day, Manchester ->Schladming, Austria to drop off bags, -> Bacharach in rhine region. -Need advice for transport info here. 17: Bacharach 18: Bacharach -> Oberwesel -> St. Goar 19: St. Goar 20: Braubach 21: Koblenz ->Burg Eltz ->Koblenz 22: Travel to Eschwege 23-28: Stay with Henrik, meet german class 29: Travel to Prague 30: Prague 31:Prague April 1: Prague 2: Prague-> Kutna Hora -> Krakow 3: Krakow 4: Krakow 5: Krakow-> Auschwitz -> Salt Mine? -> Krakow 6: Krakow 7: Krakow -> Spissky Hrad (Slovakia) -> Budapest 8: Budapest 9: Budapest 10: Budapest 11-13: Days to fill, maybe spend on daytrips from other major cities, would be nice to end up close to Schladming for return flight from turkey instead of open-jaw flight. (maybe spend an extra night down the Moselle river (Cochem castle), then the rest in Vienna) 14: Fly to Istanbul 15: Istanbul 16: Istanbul 17: Istanbul
18-21: maybe extra day in Istanbul. Then deciding between roman ruins in Ephesus or caves and fairy chimneys in Cappadocia. 22: Fly back, get to Schladming by nightfall to check into school.

Posted by
37 posts

Some of you may have seen my first draft in the general section, for those of you who didn't I'm a college student who is going school in the UK for Winter semester and transferring to Austria for spring semester with a month of travel time in between. This is my itinerary for that month and I would absolutely love it if you guys critiqued it :) For example I'm looking for advice on "off the guidebook" sites in cities I am visiting, nearby main sites/cities I'm missing, too many or too few days in certain cities, and specific issues addressed in the itinerary above.
Thanks a lot!

Posted by
3696 posts

Just a quick note... You might be a little heavy on days in Krakow and not enough in Budapest or Istanbul. Have been to and loved them all, so just my opinion. Prague seems okay to see the highlights.

Posted by
37 posts

ya looking at it again maybe switching a day from krakow to Budapest makes more sense. I kinda planned for two days in krakow itself and maybe two day trips (salt mine/auschwitz). Or I could leave it an just add those 3 free days between buda an Istanbul to buda and Istanbul.

Posted by
687 posts

You seem pretty heavy on cities. Not sure what your interests are, but I loved Slovakia. I stopped off in Stary Smokovec for some hiking, and then spent a couple of nights in charming Levoca. Slovakia is also a lot cheaper than Poland.

Posted by
37 posts

I want to catch all the major cities/sites on this trip because it is my first time to this area (except Germany). I'll maybe visit smaller towns/sites on a later trip once I've got a little more experience with the area. Also, I googled levoca and it looked really cool and is close to spissky hrad (which I didn't know) so I think I'll try to work in a night there when I visit spissky hrad.

Posted by
590 posts

I found that 3 full days in Krakow was good enough to see all the major sites including Auschwitz. I also had plenty of time to take it easy. I stayed at Greg and Tom hostel-loved it. I had 4 full days in Budapest and spent one of the those days in Eger. It was well worth the trip. Definitely see Burg Eltz, it was one of my highlights. I haven't been to Istanbul so can't comment on that. otherwise the time that you allotted to each place looks good, but I would look at taking away a day from Krakow and adding it somewhere else.