Please sign in to post.

Solo female student traveling Greece March/April 2009

Hello!
I'm flying to Athens March 28th and returning April 12th.

I've only ever traveled to Rome by myself.. and have been warned many times of the dangers that come along with traveling Greece solo... But I'm set on going! hehe.

Since the weather will be cooler I think it might not be worth island hopping? although I do want to see Crete.

I'm planning to stay in hostels- at least that $ range.

Any advice on a decent itinerary of the must sees is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Posted by
3141 posts

Women travel solo in Greece all the time. It's no more dangerous there than in any other country as long as you use the same common sense you would use at home.

There won't be very much open for tourists on the islands in March and early-April. Hostels don't usually stay open during the off-season. You'll probably find more to see and do on the mainland. I suggest you focus your research on seeing Athens, Nafplio, Monemvasia, Olympia and Meteora.

Posted by
5 posts

thank you for those suggestions!
I've read that the weather is normally about 16degrees C (~60F) in april..
I'm hoping for at least that & sunny :S
what are my chances of that haha...

Posted by
1414 posts

Patricia

I'm less pessimistic about the weather than Kim! In my experience late March / early April can be changeable. I'm going to be in Athens myself in mid March and expect at least some days when it will be warm enough to sit out for lunch and early evening.

I've swum in Crete in early April, and other people swim there all year round. Having said that I was in southern Crete - Ierapetra - in March two years ago and had two days of the most incredible red rain. Apparently the sands from the Sahara get blown across and crash down on Crete!

It's also true that ferries are less frequent and reliable at this time of year.

Can't comment personally on how it is for women but my partner often spends afternoons on the beach on her own and often gets into chats with both men and women. She never seems to find it too difficult to disentangle herself from the few which she finds a bit uncomfortable.

Obviously don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with but try not to be too defended: the Greeks are a very sociable people and will often chat for the fun of it.

Have a good time

Alan

Posted by
191 posts

Hey Patricia, I'm 23 and spent almost 2 weeks in Greece this past summer on my own. I visited Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini. I went Mid-May so it wasn't too busy. I have traveled alot through Europe now and find Greece one of my favorite places! I thought Athens was alot safer than many say, much safe than Rome. Still take percautions, money belt ect.

Almost everyone speaks english and found the greek people extremly friendly especially on the islands. If you get a chance fly with Aegean Airlines to at least Santorini, making sure to see Oia, it was stunning, and I am sure no matter what time of year you go it will be beautiful.

I stayed at Athen's Backpackers and had a great time, the hostel is great for single travelers met lots of other cool people I still keep in touch with. The hostel has a roof top bar which is great for meeting people and has an amazing view of the acropolis. While I don't normally stay at "party" hostels this one was fun but not over the top (still got a good nights sleep!)

I didn't stay there but have heard wonderful things about www.hotelantonia.gr on Santorini. There is no hostel in Fira the fun part of the island, but this hotel is cheap with great reviews! It's only a 20 min. bus ride to Oia on a nice coach bus.

You will have a wonderful time, I loved Greece so much I am already heading back with my parents next May!

Oh if you go to Santorini try a Gyro at one of the small whole in the wall places, its the best 2 euros I have ever spent!