Please sign in to post.

Shopping in Istanbul

I will arrive in Istanbul 4 days before joining a Rick Steves Tour on June 24. I hope to shop for Sandalwood in several forms: perfume, soap, etc. Also, I am interested in beads. I would like tips on shopping in the Spice Market or The Grand Bazaar. Thank you in advance!

Posted by
7049 posts

Hi Pam, I would suggest you also give the Arasta Bazaar a try first - it's much more local, less pressure, and less crazy than the Grand Bazaar. There is a great shop there called Jennifer's Hamam (http://www.jennifershamam.com/) run by a Canadian woman who sells some terrific stuff. http://www.arastabazaar.com/ While everyone should see the Grand Bazaar for itself, it's a touristy pit and you can do much better just going to local shops. I bought a fantastic olive oil creme in Turkey (brand is called Selesta Life) but it was at some random shop. All of Istanbul is one giant bazaar of sorts, you can find stuff just about everywhere so just keep that in mind. Spice Market was fantastic! Give yourself at least 2 days to acclimate to Istanbul first, since it's overwhelming to go to the Grand Bazaar otherwise and you're more likely to be a better negotiator after you've had a chance to scope out your options first.

Posted by
3122 posts

It's all in the bargaining and bargaining is expected. As Americans we're not used to this, I know, but prices are always set higher because it's the custom there. They'll think you're foolish if you don't. It takes some getting used to but once you get over being self-conscious you'll enjoy it. Never pay more than half the asking price unless you really want to. Make it fun. Play the game. Appear to be a little apologetic at your lowball offer but start by offering about 30% of the asking price and let them go through their act of being outraged, then work up (back and forth) to what you're willing to pay. Be prepared to walk away and more often than not you'll get what you want at the price you want to pay. If they don't bite when you walk away you can always come back later and try again with a higher offer if they're still not willing to come down to what you want to pay.

Posted by
893 posts

Make sure you read up and know how to tell real Sandalwood from fake. Because I sure don't and the beaded necklaces I brought back from Egypt lost their sprayed-on smell quickly. My #1 advice for shopping the Grand Bazaar is to bring a compass. So much easier to navigate that way. Especially if you split up and are planning to meet someone "at the entrance" or want to go back and find something you saw earlier. It also starts to look repetitive and you can get turned around easy.

Posted by
281 posts

Another vote for the Aristas Bazaar next to the Blue Mosque. The stores are high quality and easy to navigate. There are some nice shops on the streets outside the Aristas Bazaar and you will enjoy the less hectic atmosphere.

Posted by
106 posts

Thank you for all your advice and tips. I stayed away from the Grand Bazaar. I made two trips to the Spice Bazaar and had great fun. I did purchase two snmall vials of sandelwood perfume which you purchase by the gram. I was showed actual sandelwood but did not want incense. I also bought a sandelwood oily paste.
Both my hotels were near the Arasta Bazaar where I returned to visit my friend Mustafa at Troy Rug (I think #37). I bought pillow covers from him a few summers ago. This year I did purchase a beautiful greem kilim with tulips. I stopped in the night before I left Istanbul, planning to buy a wall hanging, but became smitten with a small Persian gold silk-on-silk carpet which I will hang on my bedroom wall. My walls are a pearlized gold. The carpet needed its fringe repaired. A repairmen was called and I took many views of him repairing the rug before the Troy Rug shop kitten approved and stretched out on the carpet.

Posted by
7049 posts

Pam, it sounds like you had a great time! Those two markets - Arasta and Spice - were my favorite, along with a food/fish market in Kadikoy on the Asia side. I'm very glad I saw the Grand Bazaar but I sped through it as fast as I could - it was sensory overload in hyperdrive. With the other markets, I took my time and was much more relaxed.