Please sign in to post.

Sarajevo

We will be in Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro in Oct.
My question is: Has anyone gone to Sarajevo. If so any suggestions on what to see, where to go/stay would be most helpful.
Also, does anyone know approximately how far it is from Bosnia?
Thanks
ledris

Posted by
811 posts

We did the same 4-country tour in March and included a jaunt to Sarajevo from our home base of Mostar. You ask how far it is from Bosnia, but Sarajevo is IN Bosnia. Did you mean how far it is from Mostar? If so, it is about 2.5 hours by train (only a few a day, kind of a scruffy train) and 2.5 hours by bus (more schedule options, more scenic).

If you are traveling with Rick's Croatia book, you won't find any information on Sarajevo. We printed out the following PDF file before we went and found it to be VERY helpful, even though it is a little dated (from 2004).

http://www.single-serving.com/Bosnia/Sarajevo/sarajevo-instant-guide.pdf

We also visited the TI and found the people to be very helpful and silly with maps. It's near the Latin Bridge, follow the instructions under page one's BY TRAIN section on how to get to the Latin Bridge and the TI is nearby (a tourist agency near the Latin Stop can point the way).

Hope this helps!

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you very much. Basing yourself in Mostar(which I meant) where did you stay? Rick Steve's recc. or somewhere else.

We are using his book. But I am having a horrible time trying to figure out where to go first.

We land in Ljubljana on Oct. 2 and we Leave on either Oct 24 to go to Prague, where we have been 3xand want to go to some new places, or we stay in the area until Nov. 1 when we fly to Malta and stay on Gozo for 10 days.

I guess my question is is 22 days enough time to see everything because I am having trouble trying to schedule it all.

Am downloading the PDF file as well. The bus from Mostar to Sarajevo sounds good to me.

Did you use a car on your trip or did you use mostly trains and busses? We use them all the time but wasn't to sure about them in these countries.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted by
811 posts

Your trip sounds awesome! 22 days sounds like enough time to cover what you'd like to see. If you start in Ljub, maybe head to Lake Bled from there then work your way south?

In Mostar we stayed at Villa Fortuna (Rick's suggestion, about a 4-min walk to Old Town) and LOVED it. It's run by Nela and her husband, who also run a travel agency and are a great resource for the area. They have about 6 hotel-style rooms in their house and they live upstairs. They are in the process of updating their website so you won't find much info online, but it's a great place to stay and I'd recommend it to anyone!!

We had a car from Split north (but not in DBV, Bosnia, or Montenegro), because some of the areas are more difficult to get around without one (Istria, Plitvice, & area around Bled, for example). The highways are beautiful and easy to navigate, and it allowed us to do more exploring.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions, happy to help. Have fun!!!