Please sign in to post.

Santorini

Hello - I'm going to be in Santorini for just a couple of days in late October. A couple of questions: 1. I was thinking of staying in Fira because it seems close to a lot of the "action" (I'd like to visit Oia, for example). I'm mostly interested in seeing natural scenery, good photo spots, some unique restaurants, and museums. Not really into laying on the beach or going to nightclubs. Does that seem like a good place? 2. In Fira, I've seen two places to stay: Costa Marina Villas or Galatia Villas. Has anyone stayed here? Any other places good in Fira? Thanks!

Posted by
3115 posts

I'm mostly interested in seeing natural scenery, good photo spots, some unique restaurants, and museums. Not really into laying on the beach or going to nightclubs. Does that seem like a good place? I have to say no. Fira is all about the shopping and nightlife, and even in October it will be teeming with cruise ship lookie-loos. The only reason to stay there would be for the easy access to the island's bus system, but if you're not interested in the beaches even that reason doesn't apply. I think you'll enjoy Oia's most beautiful architecture and photo opportunities, and while you're there if you want to see the museums in Fira or go to Akrotiri you can easily hop on the bus. There are lots of excellent shops, restaurants, cafes and galleries there. To be fair Oia also gets busy with the cruise ship bus tours but they come and go, leaving large parts of the day crowd-free. If you want some recommendations for hotels in Oia please tell me your maximum daily room budget, in EURO. Prices will be at their lowest in late-October so you should be able to find something nice.

Posted by
655 posts

Reconsider Oia - in terms of natural scenery, good photos, etc. it can not be beat.

Posted by
40 posts

I was in Santorini a few weeks ago. I had the same concerns that you did about transportation, but we decided on Oia, and we are so glad we did. Fira is not lovely, and it is crowded. From Oia we were able to take a bus to Fira to go to the excellent museum there, then we took a second bus to Akrotiri to complete our look at the Minoan heritage. All of it was easy, and when we were finished we could return to our cave in Oia for peace and beauty.

Posted by
114 posts

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to stay in Oia.

Posted by
26 posts

Where are you all staying in Oai? I have been researching places as well. What have you found that you like?

Posted by
3115 posts

Maggie, if you tell me your maximum daily room budget, travel dates and the type of accomodations you require (full-service, B&B, self-catering) I can give you some suggestions. Do you want a pool?

Posted by
26 posts

Lee- My budget is 120-150E/night for a room with queen bed. It's for next July 2014. We would like a pool and good view-everything else is a bonus-do you know of a good place to stay? thanks!!!

Posted by
3115 posts

I think for that amount in July, if you want a pool and a view your best chance would be at the Scirocco Apartments in Fira, or Gizis Apartments in Imerovigli. Just so you know, in Oia there is a public access pool that's free if you buy food and/or drinks, so you can perhaps find a cheaper room and use that pool, that's if you want to stay in Oia instead of Fira. With that in mind check Old Oia Houses, Thea Studios (the one in Oia), Villa Kallisti and Casa Sofia.