Please sign in to post.

Russia Power Adapters

I have a power converter with 2 adapters, one labled Northern Europe and the other Southern Europe. Which one would work in Russia or is there another type I need to get. Thanks.

Posted by
11263 posts

The "Southern Europe" one will definitely work (that's the one I used). The "Northern Europe" one has slightly larger prongs, and so may not fit all sockets. Russia uses 220 volts, 50 cycles - the same as the rest of Europe. So, you don't need a power converter unless your appliance will only work on 110 volts, 60 cycles. Check the plug to be sure. You want to see "100-240 volts" and "50-60 cycles"; if you see this, it's multi-voltage, and you only need the plug adapter. Most electronics made in the past 5-10 years (cell phones, computers, camera battery chargers) are multi-voltage. If your appliance is indeed 110 volts only, be SURE you are using the correct kind of power converter. Things that get hot (like hair dryers) need one kind, and other things (like electric razors) need another. Using the wrong kind at best can damage the appliance, and at worst can start a fire. Even with the right kind of converter, many appliances do not run well. Consider getting a multi-voltage replacement.