Please sign in to post.

Russia 2009

I am signed up for the RS 2009 Russian tour. Am contemplating if I should stay a few extra days in St. Petersburg or use that time to go to Moscow? Anyone traveled there before and have suggestions?

Thanks

Posted by
12040 posts

Looking at the tour itinerary, it appears that you only have one full day to fit in all the other non-Hermitage sites of the city. There's so much more to see than one day allows, so staying a few nights more makes sense. If the Hermitage doesn't wear out your tolerance of seeing any more art, I wouldn't miss the Russian Museum. The art here may not be as famous as in the Hermitage, but unlike the Hermitage, you'll never see such a collection of Russian-themed art anywhere else. One important point if you linger after the tour, however. Unlike the rest of Europe, you can't come and go to and from Russia at your pleasure, you need to have the proper documentation arranged in advanced. I assume Rick's company is doing most of the legwork to set-up your visa. If you want to stay after the tour ends, let Rick's people know about your plans so they can adjust your visa paperwork accordingly. You'll need to know your exact date of departure and the addresses where you will stay.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks for advise. Yes RS is helping us get our Visa's at the correct time and the correct way.

Posted by
4637 posts

I am planning that RS tour, too. Once being in Russia how could I skip Moscow. I was in Moscow 1983 but then it was under iron grip of Andropov. I can imagine it's quite different now.

Posted by
189 posts

I've only been to Moscow, not St. Petersburg. We are planning a return trip in 2011 and will visit St. Petersburg then as well as back to Moscow. Not to be missed - Red Square - as well as the surrounding environment. I mean - it's Moscow afterall.

Posted by
16 posts

Your time on the RS tour in St. Petersberg will be sufficient. Watch our for the "trickey" features in the Summer Palace garden. You may get wet. I have been in Moscow three times. The first in 1973 when it was very depressing and under Communist rule. I did not recognize it a few years ago. It is worth the trip just to see Red Square and the surrounding Museums. Keep in mind the Kremlin means walled city and a number of cities still have portions of their kremlin. While meals are a bit expensive you can find common fast food chains. Don't travel alone in the evening. Most of the hotels in Russia are still run like they were in the early 70's. You surrender your passport at the front desk and there are floor monitors who give you your room key in exchange for a pass given at the front desk.

Posted by
1358 posts

Having visited both cities two years ago, I can assure you that they are as different as sun and moon.

Deciding which one to spend extra time in is most difficult. "Google Moscow sights" to decide what you would want to see there and do same for STPB.

I am not sure I would spend the time on the train going from there to Moscow because there is nothing worth seeing along the route.

My experience is that Moscow is more expensive, but I felt it was more metropolitan. STPB is much unchanged from Soviet Union days. ?Architecture is older and more impressive too. Moscow is more modern and faster moving.

Posted by
14 posts

Any recommendations for private guide in Moscow?

Posted by
15 posts

I have also thought about taking that same tour and would really like to see Moscow, too. However, I will most likely be traveling solo and don't think I am brave enough to travel there by myself. The language barrier/symbols that I cannot interpret are a major con for me. Any thoughts, or do you think a solo female traveler would be OK.

Posted by
12040 posts

It took me only a few hours of study to learn the Cyrillic alphabet. Although Russian is one of the more difficult European languages to learn, the alphabet is pretty easy. Go for it, plenty of people have taken solo trips to Russia and survived.

Posted by
9099 posts

I went to St Petersburg solo, didn't bother to memorize the Cyrillic, and managed just fine. In the city center there were tourist street signs in western script so it was easy to get around. Although I've never been to Moscow, I'm sure they have the same type of signs. Even though the guidebooks warn that almost nobody spoke English, my experience was that most everyone at the tourist sites, did speak the language- quite well in fact.

Posted by
1358 posts

I was surprised at the high percentage of residents in Moscow and STPB who speak English. The accent makes it more difficult for us to understand than in W Europe, but not impossible.

Young people especially like to speak it and know the advantage in today's world of practicing it with travelers. I like to spend time talking with nationals everywhere I go. It usually is the high point of the day when I write my journal.

Posted by
9099 posts

Hopefully your friend will be picking you up at the airport in Moscow. If not, do not use the taxi waiting at the airport. They are controlled my the mafia and will charge you no less than 100 euro to get to the city center. If you do need a taxi have your friend arrange for one to pick you up, the price will be more reasonable, and for some reason won't fall under the thumb of the mafia.

Posted by
5 posts

We too are also going on a ETBD 2009 Tallin/St.P tour. After the tour, we plan to fly from St. P to Moscow. I would appreciate Russian airline recommendations & gripes, etc. We will only stay in Moscow a day and a half to meet a friend who will give us a quick tour of the city. We will fly from Moscow to Berlin on Air Berlin; please comment. Any general Russian "do's and don'ts" also appreciated.

Posted by
1 posts

To answer the SP vs Moscow question it depends what you like. I lived in Russia a few years, my spouse and I are both fluent, so our experience will is different than the average tourist. Nevertheless, I really enjoy SP, or Piter as Russian's call it, much more. You also have the addded bonus of not only a beautiful historic city with impressive architecture, the Hermitage, the world's third largest cathedral (St. Isaacs, although maybe that's just the dome on top that's the third largest?) but also the added advantage of Peterhoff, Tsarskoe Selo, and other royal palaces outside of the city proper.

Honestly, except for the obligatory Red Square and Old Arbat visits, in my humble opinion Moscow doesn't compare to Piter. It's biggest advantage is the night club scene which face control might keep you out of anyway. By the way, White Nights in Piter are lots of fun!