Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Greece

When I rent a car in Greece, I planned to waive the Rental Companies insurance and rely on the American Express Premium Car Rental Protection (19.95 per rental period). This protection does not appear to cover damage to another vehicle involved in an accident when I am at fault. My insurer (Geico) indicated that my policy does not cover international rentals. How should I ensure that I am adequately protected in the event that I am responsible for vehicle damage and injury to another driver?

Posted by
10344 posts

You'll probably want to get it in writing that they at least cover the car you're driving, in Greece. Reason is that some credit card insurance specifically excludes certain countries and you want to make sure your credit card coverage does not exclude Greece. (There's reasons some coverages exclude Greece.)

Posted by
38 posts

I was just reading a response you posted to an archived thread of similar question in 2009. I just finished an online chat with Amex and they indicated that Greece is covered. From the old post it appears that Liability coverage is included in the rental automatically (not part of the CDW).

Posted by
10344 posts

First, congratulations on figuring out how to find the archived discussions. Most people new to the site with questions aren't able to figure out how to do that, or don't take the time. Your credit card insurance not covering third parties gets my attention. The only thing that would change this advice would be if you were certain that Greek law requires that car rentals automatically include coverage for damage/injury to 3rd parties and knew what the monetary coverage required by law was and considered it adequate for your needs.

Posted by
38 posts

This is what Avis's site states on their FAQ section regarding Liability Coverage: Avis provides liability coverage for its vehicles as required by applicable law. In most instances, this will include coverage for the renter or authorized driver up to the minimum financial responsibility limits of the applicable jurisdiction at no additional charge. In some states, the liability coverage which is provided is secondary to any other applicable coverage. This means the renter's personal liability insurance is used first, and the Avis protection will not apply until the renter or drivers insurance, if any, has been exhausted. Please check with the rental agent or nearest Avis reservation center regarding the applicability of secondary coverage to specific locations.

Posted by
10344 posts

IMHO the written thing from Avis leaves too many questions unanswered. Rick suggests looking at buying CDW insurance from Travel Guard, 800-826-4919, www.travelguard.com. It might be better coverage and may help with the problem that blindsides some in Greece, which is surprisingly high deductibles for CDW.

Posted by
10344 posts

Rick's book, Athens & The Peloponnese, has several pages of advice on driving and car insurance in Greece. You may want to look at his advice. Just a couple of excerpts from the book that may be applicable to your situation: "Statistically, Greece is one of the most dangerous European countries to drive in. * * * If you're involved in an accident, expect a monumental headache - you will be blamed. Expect to be stopped for a routine check by the local police...be sure your car insurance form is up-to-date. Small towns come with speed traps and corruption. Tickets, especially for foreigners, are issued and paid for on the spot."

Posted by
38 posts

I new I should have picked a car-less Island. I was waiting for the next edition of his book due in spring.

Posted by
10344 posts

High deductibles for CDW have blindsided some travelers to Greece. For example, the autoeurope site explains that on their Greece rentals, the CDW deductible can be as high as $1,685! This from the autoeurope Greece site: "CDW and theft coverage reduce the deductible (responsibility of the client) to US$385 - US$1685. Super CDW may be offered locally to reduce the deductible as low as zero. Optional insurance coverage is available with select suppliers only." CDW, super CDW, zero-deductible CDW and other things are discussed in more detail here: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/carrental_cdw.htm

Posted by
9110 posts

I've been watching this tread and refaining from opening my big yap, BUT: I'm the all-time proponent of driving everywhere. I drive in Cairo. I drive in Tokyo. I don't drive in Greece. End of comment.

Posted by
3122 posts

The best advice I can offer is for you to take out as much local insurance coverage the rental agency offers when you pick up the car. In Greece I have known of people being detained until they come up with the cash to pay for damage to the vehicles involved in a collision. And the owners of the vehicles will conveniently claim as much damage as they can to be attributed to the accident as a ploy for getting as much money from their settlement as is possible, regardless of whether or not the damages they claim were caused by the accident or not. This money will have to come out of your pocket until you can get your credit card company to reimburse you. If I were you I'd be very careful about taking chances with your credit card's so-called automatic insurance coverage. Don't assume you're covered. No insurance company is going to pay out on a claim unless they absolutely have to, and they will use any loophole available to them to deny every claim they can. To expect anything else is to be naive.

Posted by
3122 posts

Inspect the car very carefully, inside, outside and underneath. Make sure the engine, brakes, transmission, clutch and emergency brake are in good working order. If you suspect that there are problems ask for the agent to accompany you on a test drive before you sign the agreement. Take photos of every nick, dent, scratch, crack, tear and stain. Look for anything that's missing on the car. Never take "No Problem" as a substitute for listing everything you find during your inspection on the rental agreement, and if the rental agent is uncooperative go elsewhere. Be suspicious if the agent tries to give you a car other than the one you reserved. Above all, make sure you to go your local AAA office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test or membership required. If you get in an accident and don't have one any insurance policy you've taken out will be invalidated because you will have been driving illegally.

Posted by
10344 posts

Oh good - I was hoping Lee (of Global Family) would see this thread. He's one of this site's Greece experts.

Posted by
3122 posts

No more than many other "regulars".

Posted by
10344 posts

Yes, Lee, I should have added: Janet Alan (Brighton) Douglas Janis Rosalyn Ken George Paul (Cedar)
Tom (Chicago) and let's not forget Athena (with a name like that...) And thanks to all of our Helpliners who answer questions on Greece, even during the many years when Rick didn't have a book on (1/3 of) Greece. (edit: Janet, glad to see you're keeping an eye on us here, and you're right, I should have said "a book on 1/3 of Greece". Glad to see Janet posting on this thread, she's a longtime contributor here and, BTW, is a DE at tripadvisors.

Posted by
3320 posts

Yes Kent, and Rick-fans will still need our contributions, even now that there is an "Athens and the Peloponnese" book... because he leaves out 2/3 of that fascinating "appendage" that dangles off the left of mainland Greece. And we must assume that he judges that Greece does not rank among "The Best in Europe", although the Czech Republic makes the cut, in the book of that name. Does he now have a book on the Greek Isles? Even a chapter? I don't think so; I checked a website listing all available books, and no table of contents touched on Greek Isles even as an add-on to his beloved Turkey. So yes Kent, we shall have responsibilities for a long time, if people are awaiting info from Steves on the Greek isles. Luckily there are other sources.

Posted by
32202 posts

Ricardo, If you're planning to use your credit card coverage to provide rental car insurance, be sure to read the Terms & Conditions very carefully. There are usually a number of exclusions and other clauses to be aware of (for example, the entire cost of the rental MUST be charged to that card and you have to accept and decline specific insurances offered by the rental firm). Note that you'll require the compulsory International Driver's Permit for driving in Greece, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. The IDP is valid for one year and easily obtained at any AAA office. Regarding driving in Greece, you may find it helpful to have a look at This Website. Credit Card rental vehicle insurance is normally provided by a third party. I've used C.C. coverage in the past when renting cars in Europe, but got tired of trying to figure out all the terms so I just accept and pay for the "super CDW" now, as it's less of a hassle. That's the method I used in Santorini earlier this year, and no problems (at least so far). One other point to be aware of, is driving on gravel roads (which could be the case some places in Greece). I know of at least one case where AmEx expressly refused to pay the charges when a renter "totalled" a vehicle, leaving him with a bill of about $15,000. Given the specific circumstances in that case, it's ironic that the rental firm stated they would have covered the damages if their insurance had been used. In order to ensure that you're "adequately protected", it would be a good idea to contact the insurance provider and get very specific information on the coverage they provide. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
32202 posts

You might also have a look at This Website for some general information on driving in Europe.

Posted by
3320 posts

Another thing to look at if you're considering using a credit-card insurance coverage, just to save a few bucks; if there is some kind of collision, and you have to make a panic call to an insurer -- remember the time difference of 7-10 hours. If you have an accident in Greece at 6 pm, in North America, it's 1-4 am. What are the chance of you getting a competent person on the phone to address your problem at that hour?

Posted by
2876 posts

Juno's right. I always used to buy "peace of mind" coverage, but the "Super CDW" on a 7-day rental in France this past September cost me over $600, so I'm beginning to rethink my whole philosophy.

Posted by
32202 posts

Tom, "the "Super CDW" on a 7-day rental in France this past September cost me over $600, so I'm beginning to rethink my whole philosophy" The CDW cost is one of the main reasons I prefer travel by train most of the time. Also, as I often travel solo, car rentals are not as cost effective so I tend to use rental cars for short periods to reach specific sights. That keeps the CDW costs at an "acceptable level". Cheers!

Posted by
3320 posts

The train advice is nice Ken, unless you are talking about Greece (which we are here). In Greece train travel is pretty useless except for going Athens - Thessaloniki. My group (I take along 3-4 people each time) also usually rent for only 3 days. And we inquire about the CDW, and if the deductible is only $500, we figure we can take that risk. Sometimes an agency, off-season, will have Special Offer, No deductible (is that what the Super-CDW means?).

Posted by
38 posts

Thanks for all of the responses - I think! Now I am completely terrified about my trip to Greece. Every time I get behind the wheel, I'll be stressed out. I think I'll probably go with the CDW for the first time in my life just for peace of mind. It looks like it will add between $150 and $300 depending on what car and company I go with. One thin I noticed when shopping on the Budget site was when I use the main site the car CDW was more expensive than when I priced it on the Budget-Athens site. Also the Budget Athens site offered an additional CDW that eliminated the deductible for less than the standard CDW on the main Budget Site, however the total rental cost appeared to be cheaper on the main Budget site. The Main Budget site does not appear to offer the CDW option that eliminates the deductible. We are going to a coastal area of Peloponnese and a car rental is our only real option. So unless I'm willing to lose about $600 in deposit, I'm committed.

Posted by
2876 posts

Ricardo - relax. I've driven in Greece, from Athens to the Peloponese and also in most of Crete. I found that it's similar to Italy in that the roads and highways between cities aren't bad at all, it's only the in-city driving that's hairy because of narrow streets and too much traffic. You'll be fine. I didn't notice any particular craziness or recklessness with Greek drivers. Get a GPS with your rental; it'll be a help. And when you pick up the car, just tell the clerk you want full, no-deductible coverage and I bet they'll be able to accomodate you.

Posted by
3320 posts

You hve sussed out the little secret Ricardo ... that Budget hyphen Athens site is LOCALLY owned and consistently gives better prices. An "old hand" at visiting Greece on another forum (which has far more experienced Greece travellers than this one), Johnnieb has visited greece 2x per year for donkey's years, and ALWAYS uses that agency. I have compared it against a number of others & of the known quantities that have new fleets, it will usually net out a better price -- unless you have some kind of "Premiium User" business deal with another. Please don't get in a swivet. Be reasonably careful, move over to the right if a Greek wants to pass, and you'll be fine.

Posted by
32202 posts

janet, Although this Thread is primarily about driving in Greece, I was commenting more on Tom's post regarding his $600 car rental experiences in France. Therefore my reply was more of a "general comment" about driving and car insurance options in Europe. Cheers!

Posted by
4535 posts

Don't worry too much Ricardo. Driving in Greece is not bad at all once out of Athens. DON'T drive in central Athens at all and just stay on the ring highways - but even that is an experience. Rural driving is actually quite easy with good roads and limited traffic. Just remember to stay along the right side because passing is down the middle. Don't forget the IDP - in Greece you cannot rent a car without it.