Please sign in to post.

Public transport from Budapest Ferihegy to City ?

Has anyone done this ? Where can I buy bus tickets ? I was hoping the 3-day card is available there, so I can start using it from airport. It looks like I will be landing in Terminal 2B, if British Airways isn't on strike at that time :-( My hotel is in Roosevelt Ter.

What do you think is best for Budapest? I've done this in most of my trips in other European cities.

Posted by
7 posts

Public Transport from Terminal 2B:
Airport bus nr. 200 to Köbanya-Kispest (25 mins), then underground line nr. 3. to Deak ter or Arany Janos utca (25 mins). From there it is just a 5 mins walk. You'll need 2 tixx, you may buy them at the underground station: I would recommend you to buy a 3 days ticket.
More info: http://www.budapesttips.co.uk/transport_to_budapest/

Posted by
417 posts

You can also take the train from outside the airport. This is from Wikitravel, it is accurate to my experience:

There is a railway station connected to Terminal 1 via a covered bridge. Passengers from Terminal 2A or 2B can also reach it by taking the 200E bus to Terminal 1. Frequent suburban train services run westwards to Budapest Nyugati station via Köbánya-Kispest and eastwards to Vecsés, Üllö and Monor, and semi-fast services to Cegléd (these services only stop in Ferihegy between Köbánya-Kispest and Monor). The stopping service to Monor normally has 2 trains/h while the Cegléd service has 1 train/h. The travel time to Budapest is 20 min with a semi-fast train and 23 min with a stopping train. A single ticket to Budapest costs 365 HUF and can be bought at the information desk at the airport or from the ticket vending machines at the station. Local transport passes valid for two weeks or longer can also be used. [21]. For timetable information, check the Hungarian Railways website [22]. Use the words "Ferihegy" for the airport and "Nyugati" for the city center.

From Nyugatu Station, take the metro to Arany Janos station and walk down Arany Janos Utca to Roosevelt Ter.

The three day card is not valid on the airport trains since they are Hungarian Railways trains and not metro.

Of course the bus may be easier, since it is 200e (the same one you would use to transfer to Terminal 1). The station it drops you off at is Kobanya, which is also on the line to Arany Janos. You could buy the three day pass at Kobanya and use it from there. Ride to Arany Janos, and then walk to your hotel. The walk is about 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how fast you move.