Please sign in to post.

Prague to Krakow

What is the best way to get from Prague to Krakow?

Posted by
2746 posts

Alicia - I apologize, I was in hurry and simply gace that answer, normally I would look it u first.. And then I would have remembered that for some bizarre reason this bus route apparently does not exist! Student Agency and Eurolines do not go between them, and Orangeways is based out of Budapest, all their routes g through there. It's a shame, as it would likely be a 6 hour trip with great scenery and cost under $40 US.
That said, I did find on Lonely Planet www.regabus.cz, that tkaes a roundabout route to Krakow over 9 1/2 hours, yoiu can go to their website and work with Google translate as they fo not have an English option. Price is 750 ck. Abother source stats this is a Friday night bus only.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for the quick, reply. Should I get the train tickets here or wait until I get to Prague?

Posted by
2746 posts

You should also check bus schedules, I think there are two companies that have this route. The comparison is not just price, but also time - which is more convenient for your schedule in terms of when it runs. The bus is generally faster and less expensive. Reserved bus seats can be purchased online from here.

Posted by
8 posts

Larry, do you know how long it takes by bus?

Posted by
4637 posts

It's much simpler to buy ticket when you get to Prague. Train is better than bus. It's faster and more comfortable. It takes 8 hours 15 minutes and you change trains in Katowice. For schedule check Deutsche Bahn website. There is a bus going from Prague to Krakow called Regabus. It goes from Zelivskeho bus station (not from the main bus station) and only on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. It takes 9 hours 20 minutes.

Posted by
294 posts

Unless you want to spend the whole day on a bus or train, check out flights.

Posted by
8 posts

Larry-
Thanks for checking it out for me. It looks like I would have to choose between rail or air. The flight tickets I have found so far are pricey. Any suggestions?

Posted by
2746 posts

'Fraid you have to make that decision yourself. What is the time savings - not just the flight, there is still the time and costs to and from the airports, and time lost for arriving two hours early for your flight - vs the train, time, lower cost - but at what time does it arrive? FWIW, the train will arrive in the heart of Krakow, practically in the center of the old town (as would the bus, if there were one, they are next door to each other).

Posted by
4637 posts

At most you could save 2-3 hours by flying versus train. I don't think it's worth hassle and money.

Posted by
215 posts

Back in 2008 I took an early morning, 5 or 6 am flight from Prague to Krakow on LOT, Polish National, airlines. It was quick but fairly expensive, about $200. I don't
know if they still operate that flight.

Posted by
956 posts

Alicia, we did that route in September and took the night train which was direct. Not sure if there's still a night train, but it worked well for us. We bought our tickets a day before at the Prague train station to ensure that we had a couchette.

Posted by
18052 posts

Check Ryan Air. They have a midnight flight out of Budapest twice a week. Maybe they have one out of Prague. From Budapest it was an hour or so flight for about $100. Hey worst case you spend a few nights in Budapest. If you have time while in Krakow you might look at a side trip to the High Tara in Slovakia. Look up the Kempenski High Tara Hotel. Pretty spectacular surroundings.

Posted by
18052 posts

I've traveled a lot but this doesn't describe a place that I am ready to go to yet: http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/07/jewish-renaissance-poland?cat=world&type=article Oddly enough I am not a fan of Prague in general but i think everyone should go see Prague's Jewish district. A close second is Budapest's Jewish district. Oh, and for a real life lesson, although not a positive one, look for the synagogues in Vienna.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually, I just got back from 21 fantastic days in Europe. I had been in Prague six years ago and this time I did not enjoy my time there. It has certainly changed! The train ride from Prague to Krakow was not bad at all, I actually enjoyed it. Totally agreed that Krakow is beautiful, unspolied and very much a place I would go back.

Posted by
70 posts

We took a train. About 6 hours. Quite pleasant. Had to transfer once, no problems.