Please sign in to post.

Prague or Budapest?

We are going to be in Germany the first part of October and have about 5 days. If you could do just one which would you do? Any reasons?

Posted by
3250 posts

I'd chose Budapest--as many have mentioned on this site, Prague is very crowded and not quite as charming as it once was. Budapest has a lot to offer--markets, museums, spas, and a beautiful setting.

Posted by
590 posts

My thoughts are exactly like Sharon's. I loved Budapest and it was so nice to relax and enjoy the sites instead of getting "crowd rage" amongst the other tourists in Prague.

Posted by
276 posts

I have to agree with the previous two. Prague is fairytale gorgeous, and I was thoroughly enchanted by it. However, the crowds do interfere with the enjoyment. In addition, though the Czechs I've met elsewhere are lovely people, most (not all)the Czechs one deals with in Prague seem jaded and not so friendly. By contrast, Budapest, though not quite as jaw-droppingly beautiful, is more enjoyable. It's spread out a little more so it doesn't feel nearly as crowded. Plus, it seems more like a real city rather than just a tourist destination; the people at the next table might actually be locals, not your neighbors from back home. And, maybe most importantly, almost everyone I met there was warm and welcoming.

Posted by
269 posts

I'll have to disagree with the previous posters. While Prague can be overrun with tourists, it is still an amazing city full of charm and wonder. It's got history, amazing architecture, great food and a very unique culture. While some Czechs are jaded, I find that over the years, they've really opened up to visitors and are much friendlier. Also, once you've had your fill of crowds, simply wander a few blocks away and you'll find an entirely new Prague. I do love Budapest as well, but it's a much larger, more spread out city. Prague (at least, to me) seems friendlier and more charming.

Posted by
2023 posts

I agree with Penny's comments. We visited Budapest and Prague last fall and Budapest was more enjoyable. We loved everything about it and wished we had added more days there. Prague was definitely worth seeing but the locals were very unfriendly. Some clerks in the shops got angry when I became confused on the money. They seem to have difficulty adjusting to the overwhelming number of tourists now visiting.

Posted by
48 posts

JoAn:

Go Big Red. Belton Tigers. Had several friends from there in college.

As to your question. I spent a week in both this summer. The only question I have for you, is where in Germany are you coming from and how will you be travelling.

I myself would choose Prague only for the reason of the architecture and worldly feel that escaped the bombings of WW II. If you want something very different than Germany. Budapest won't disappoint either.

Have a great trip,

B