Please sign in to post.

Prague or Budapest?

I'm going to be Vienna next month and have a couple of extra days, so I'm trying to decide if I spend them in Prague or Budapest. Any votes would be appreciated.

Posted by
417 posts

Budapest! It is one of the most fascinating cities I have been to. I only gave it two and a half days this part July, and I needed at least two more to see everything that I wanted to. It is so beautiful, not too crowded, easy to get around, and far cheaper than Prague.

One thing though is that it does not have the medieval charm of Prague; but the Art Nouveau buildings more than make up for that.

Plus, Budapest is only about 3 hours from Vienna, whereas Prague is about 4 hours. If you wanted, you could stop over in Bratislava for a few hours on the way from Vienna to Budapest. We did that and used Rick's tour of the old town. Lovely, easy to do, and very inexpensive. Also, it breaks up the train ride.

From my opinion, Budapest is still less touristy while Prague can be compared to Disney World.

Posted by
276 posts

They are both amazing cities. But while Prague is drop dead gorgeous, with fairytale towers everywhere, I have to agree with Mike about Budapest. I wouldn't compare Prague to Disney World(sorry Mike), but it is definitely more touristy and crowded. Budapest feels more like a real city; as I've explained to others, you feel like the people at the next table might actually be locals and not your neighbors from back home. And though it may not be quite as spectacular as Prague, it is still very beautiful and the people are warm and welcoming. But which ever you decide, be sure to visit the other when you have the chance!

Posted by
48 posts

Budapest is an easier train ride on the Austrian rail network. Probably a better train and as others stated Budapest is a better contrast to Vienna than is Prague in my opinion( both are awesome however).

I spent some time in each city this past summer, you can't go wrong!!

Posted by
203 posts

I have been to both Prague and Budapest several times. I totally agree with Penny's post. Prague is totally wonderful but touristy, and Budapest, while also wonderful, is more like a real city. When I go to that part of Europe with my husband, I will choose Prague. My brother-in-law, the architect, said that if he had 6 weeks to live, he would go to Prague for part of that time.

Posted by
290 posts

Phil, whichever you choose, by next month most of the tourist crowds should be gone. As other posters have said, both are wonderful places to visit. Prague is a bit further (4.5 hours vs 3 hours to Budapest) but it such a great place to visit; most of the sights you want to see in Prague are within walking distance, whereas BP is more spread out. However, you can overcome that by using the Metro and the trams (Rick has some good transportation info in his guidebook on both cities). If you do opt for BP, by all means take the train that goes through Bratislava and stop over for a couple of hours; as Mike said, it's worth a look. Oh, while you are in Vienna try to take in a concert; there's nothing quite like hearing Strauss & Mozart there.

Posted by
72 posts

I've also been to both and for me the choice (hands down) would be Prague. I know it can be a problem anywhere, but I was particularly saddened by the amount of graffiti on historic (and soft) stone buildings in Budapest.

Posted by
269 posts

I also vote Prague. I've been to both and understand the complaints about tourists crowds, but it's worth it. The crowds are worst around the biggest sights, of course, but if you want to catch a glimpse of the real Prague, it's easy to just move a block or two away and you'll find quieter streets, predominantly local restaurants and pubs, and an altogether more enjoyable atmosphere. Budapest is also great to visit, but to me, Prague stands alone.

Posted by
82 posts

I visited both last summer and would hate to have to pick between the two. It seems that the crowds in Prague are the main problem listed for Prague. But I didn't think they were that bad in July and I certainly think that traveling in the off season, as you are, would negate the crowd issue. Budapest would probably have fewer American tourists so you do get a feeling that it is more of an "undiscovered" place as compared to Prague which seems to be on everyones 'place to go' list. You won't regret either choice!

Posted by
111 posts

Definitely Budapest. I went to Prague, Budapest, and Vienna for 12 days in August. We stayed in Prague for 5 nights and Budapest for 3, which was a huge mistake. Prague is charming and pretty, but there was a lot more to see and do in Budapest, and as others have pointed out, its closer to Vienna. I am glad I went to Prague, but Budapest is where I want to go back to. Also, I found that my dollars went further in Hungary than they did in the Czech Republic, which helps.