Please sign in to post.

Prague in Winter

Hello, I'll be in Prague from 11/27 to 12/2. I know it will be cold, but for those who have been there around these dates, I'd like to ask if I should expect snow? It'll help with packing clothes/shoes. Thanks.

Posted by
12040 posts

"I'd like to ask if I should expect snow?" Nobody can predict that... although the 10 day weather forecast for central Europe indicates some possible light snow in various areas. This usually means anything between no accumulation to a light dusting. Let me try to read your mind- are you asking if you need heavy winter boots? Based on that prediction, I would say no. Boots are most useful when you expect to be in sub-freezing temperatures for hours at a time, or expect to walk through snow deeper than ankle length. Doesn't appear that either condition will apply. Instead of the heavy duty boots, pack some warm pairs of socks.

Posted by
4637 posts

Snow cannot be ruled out in Prague at that time. The best would be to check Internet just before you go.

Posted by
290 posts

I'm in the Bay Area too and go back to Czech every year and have been there quite a few times in late Nov - early Dec. When these folks posting say its COLD they are not kidding. Lake Tahoe in the winter is pleasant compared to what I have experienced. It's like mid Canada cold. When I visited my Czech inlaws a month ago they all said they are expecting a very hard winter. Layering is a must. I use my ski thermals under a shirt and sweater, plus heavy coat to keep me warm. Don't forget a warm hat, scarf, and gloves. Plus very warm socks and slip resistant weather cold weather shoes are a must. Forget the sneakers. If they get wet your feet will freeze.

Posted by
951 posts

We were in Prague same time as you will be last year. It did not snow. Heck, I am not sure if it really ever rained. But there is one thing for sure......IT WAS COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Layers, smart wool socks, winter walking boots by Keen, scarf, gloves. That was my uniform. I wore my thinsulate jacket by Northface. And at night, maybe an extra layer.

Posted by
571 posts

I was in Prague for a week in January a few years ago. As I was visiting a friend who was a university student, I spent much of the days alone, walking the town, while she was in class. While there wasn't much snow (there was some), it was certainly COLD every day and I'd even say damp. That deep penetrating damp cold that gets in your bones and makes you shiver. Especially along the river....walk the Charles Bridge and you'll feel the wind off the water. But my number one memory was slipping on the cobblestone streets of those steep hills. Be absolutely sure you've got a pair of warm, dry walking shoes with good soles. You'll want them when you're trekking all over the city. BTW, I enjoyed the trip (my only visit to Prague) immensely and I certainly recommend it, even in winter. Enjoy!

Posted by
518 posts

Thanks for the responses so far! I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area where "cold" is a completely relative term and honestly the coldest I've ever actually been is skiing in Lake Tahoe in the winter when it was snowing. I'm not sure how that'll compare to the cold of a European winter. Granted the temperature only tells part of the story of how cold it will actually feel (humidity, wind, etc., all contribute). I'll definitely be bringing a pair of long thermal underwear!

Posted by
518 posts

Fantastic advice. I've gone and bought a bunch of cold weather gear, including thick wool underwear tops/bottoms, a down vest to wear under my coat, gloves, hat, thick wool socks. I hope I'm ready. I'm also looking forward to staying in the Old Town Square Hotel, which I understand is right there in front of the town square and xmas markets.

Posted by
12040 posts

Don't overdo it with long underwear unless you're planning to stay outside for hours at a time. The reason? You'll start sweating when you move indoors, then it will be even harder to stay warm when you go outside again. As you walk up the hill to the castle, you'll probably also generate quite a bit of body heat. You can always loosen up a heavy coat to vent any excess heat you might generate. But if you trap too much heat in long underwear, you can't loosen it and you'll start to sweat. That being said, Central European temperatures are predicted to be a little colder than normal for the next several days... If you're not accustomed to cold temperatures, don't underestimate the importance of a good scarf.

Posted by
34 posts

This year it has snowed already and more is expected this week. It is extremely cold, but quite pretty. Christmas markets are open. Have a hot mulled wine!

Posted by
4637 posts

Sorry Kwong, you are already in Prague and is really snowy as I can see on Internet. I hope you like snow as I do. But I am glad I don't have to drive in Prague right now.

Posted by
518 posts

Well, I am back from Prague. And let me just say, being from California, the cold of Prague cut through me like a knife. It snowed on and off too. My face grew really numb as I went on a walking tour that lasted many hours. Granted, Prague is beautiful, easy to navigate, and friendly and I would go back again. Before I left I was contemplating buying one of those furry aviator style hats, the kind that has the flap of fur that folds up in the front and the covers around the ears. I didn't want to stand out in the crowd, so I just used a knit beanie. Boy, did I wish I got the furry hat! I woulnd't say the cold is unbearable or too limiting, its just that if you plan on taking any long walking tours or plan on spending lots of times walking around outside, be prepared.

Posted by
290 posts

Glad you had a good time and that you were able to get back with no delay, since many flights were cancelled or delayed due to the severe weather. Glad you found folks friendly too. It is a very beautiful city and maybe next time you go you can hit some towns outside Prague. Try coming back in late May through the end of June or mid Sept through early Oct for the sweetest time. Czech Republic has beautiful towns, castles, and forests. There is something for everyone there from the Arts to Spas to active travel(hiking, bicycling, boating, etc). Unfortunately, now you know I wasn't kidding about layering and wearing hat, scarf, and gloves for your stay. Czechs are used to the weather and don't dress so heavily as I suggested, but folks from SF Bay Area are no way used to the cold. Too bad you didn't get the hat - maybe next time. It would be a conversion piece if ever you use it skiing at Lake Tahoe or in cold morning's here.

Posted by
23296 posts

Really appreciated all of the comments and the report back. Being from Colorado we probably are more comfortable with the cold but decided to add an extra layer. Will be there from the 26th to 31st.

Posted by
34 posts

for other readers Dec 4, 2010 It is now EXTREMELY cold for Prague. We had minus 24 C (minus 11 F) temps the other night. The forecast has been minus 12C to minus 14C for most nights this week. Good site for temp conversions: http://www.onlineconversion.com/ It is very humid because of the river. This makes it feel even colder. Recommend ski underwear and gloves! Bring boots with thick soles and a good grip. There is ice under new snow. Also, the polished granite and marble in Metro and in shops, as well as smooth cobbles everywhere, are VERY slippery. If we have a melt, watch out for falling icicles and avalanches off roofs onto the sidewalk. Sometimes there is police tape to warm you, sometimes a couple of sticks propped against the wall, sometimes nothing. Keep your eyes open as to what locals are doing. Indoors, temps are kept rather high compared with U.S. and Canada. Be ready to peel off layers. The main Christmas markets are open until January 2.
More info and photos here: http://hedgie.eu/pages/events/xmassmarkets.php Best fireworks on New Year's Eve are usually on Letna (near the Metronome) and can also be seen from the Old Town across the river. There is usually a second show, just as glorious, for families the next night about 6pm perhaps. Time varies by year. Ask at your hotel about the second one. Not much is posted online about these.