Please sign in to post.

Prague

My husband and I are going to Prague in Sept. We are fairly experienced international travelers (5 trips and 11 countries) and always travel alone. We will be in Prague for 4 nights and are staying at the Hotel Julian. We are seniors so like to take our time even if we do not see everything. We would appreciate any suggestions regarding how to use our time most effectively. We are thinking of going to Terezin on one of the days. Yes/No? Thanks for your help.
Mary Lou

Posted by
32202 posts

Mary Lou, There's lots to see and do in Prague, so you shouldn't have any trouble keeping busy. Some suggestions..... > Day 1: - Prague Castle - there are many parts, so you could easily spend a full day there; be sure to visit the Golden Lane, with lots of interesting small shops; try to see the Changing of the Guard also. - Spend some time in the neighborhoods around the Charles Bridge; there are Churches and other venues on the Castle side of the river that often hold concerts in the evenings. - Visit the Old Town Square and Astronomical Clock. Lots of small food booths there, some with a medieval theme and wood fired stoves. - Take a Walking tour (details in the Guidebook), including the Jewish Quarter. You could also take a Segway tour (details at the T.I.) > Day 2: Continue exploring Prague. If you're interested in WW-II history, visit the small Museum on the lower floor of the Saints Cyril & Methodius Church (you can find the historical details on Wikipedia). > Day 3: Day trip to Cesky Krumlov. You'll probably see lots of small booths in the streets selling Bus tours (details also in the Guidebook). Your hotel may also have information. If you need a Taxi, as I recall AAA is a reliable service. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the exchange rates. I found it confusing at first to figure out exactly how much I was spending, but eventually got the hang of it. Happy travels!

Posted by
6501 posts

Ken has good suggestions (as usual). I'd add a few: The Lobkowicz Palace, just downhill from the Prague Castle complex, is a privately owned museum with a family's wonderful art collection, see http://www.lobkowicz.cz/en/. The Charles Bridge is best appreciated, imo, early in the morning before it becomes packed with our fellow-tourists. We had it almost to ourselves in the beautiful raking light, except for a few young partyers staggering home. The old cemetery in the Jewish Quarter was probably the highlight of our trip to central Europe last year. The Rick Steves Prague guidebook would be very helpful in planning. Four nights gives you enough time to see a lot at a reasonable pace. Enjoy the beer.

Posted by
15582 posts

I thought Terezin was very interesting. It's an easy day trip by bus. You need to find out exactly where the bus leaves from and the schedule. I missed a bus by about 3 minutes. They run about every 30-40 minutes. I got off at the fortress and spent time there, then walked about a kilometer into the town itself. There is much more to see in the town, but don't skip the fortress. I lingered at the fortress and would have liked more time in the museums. The Jewish Quarter will be closed on all the Jewish holidays and Saturdays (there are a lot in September this year) and only open in the mornings on the holiday eves and Fridays. When there are many closures, it is pretty crowded on the open days. If you PM me your exact dates, I can tell you if/when it will be open. I should clarify, you will be able to walk around the JQ, but all the museums, synagogues and the cemetery (very interesting) will be closed.