Please sign in to post.

prague

2 days/nights in the city!! Must see suggestions??? and tourist traps to stay away from./thanks

Posted by
47 posts

3 must-sees for me in Prague:
The Museum of Communism if you have any interest in that period of history. If you can get a guided tour in English - go for it. The guides are excellent and make the fairly small museum come to life. After you watch the film at the end of the museum, go out to Wenceslas Square (just around the corner) to see where what you just saw in the film took place. St. Vitus Cathedral at the Prague Castle (use Rick's book on Prague for a great self-guided tour). Pink Synagogue / Cemetery in the Jewish Quarter Already know where you're staying? If not, look into Hotel Yasmin - excellent location, beautiful hotel for the price!

Posted by
32219 posts

Kim, A few sights that I enjoyed when I was there last year.... > Prague Castle - you might consider the combo ticket that provides entry to the Castle, the old Royal Palace, St. Vitus Cathedral and Golden Lane. > Charles Bridge - enjoy the street entertainers but be sure to wear a Money Belt! > Old Town Square and the unusual Astronomical Clock > Jewish Quarter > You might enjoy either a Walking tour or a Segway Tour, as that's a good way to get an idea of the history. I took two Segway tours when I was there last year, and quite enjoyed them (sure beats walking up to the Castle)!!! Happy travels!

Posted by
15598 posts

The Jewish quarter sites are closed on Friday afternoons and Saturdays, so Sundays are usually crowded.

Posted by
2023 posts

I was unimpressed with Wencesalas Square-tacky shops and the area was rather seedy IMO. We took the tram up to the castle area and attended a nice classical concert. The Jewish Quarter was a highlight. Behind the cathedral on the main square is the Botanic shop that sells nice products such as soap, candles, hand cream, etc.

Posted by
227 posts

I loved the museum of communism!!! - loved the crumbling steps up to it and the whole aura. Do not expect this museum of be fancy - but you feel like you are right there back in the 60's!

Posted by
11294 posts

In addition to the Jewish quarter, don't miss the Jubilejni Synagogue (not in the Jewish quarter, and near the main train station). When I went in 2007, this was included in the admission to the Old-New Synagogue (which I wasn't impressed with). The Jubilejni has amazing colorful decorations all over - an eye-popping mixture of Moorish and Art Nouveau styles. Speaking of Art Nouveau, I also loved the Municipal House; the tour was not cheap, but was well worth every koruna, as you see parts not otherwise visible.

Posted by
4637 posts

In your short time in Prague do the stroll on so called King's Way from Old Town Square across Charles Bridge to Hradcany Castle. It is the most crowded walk in Prague. To avoid crowds start early. Go for views to mini Eiffel Tower called Petrinska rozhledna. Another good spot for views is Zizkov TV Tower. Tourists traps: stay away from souvenirs shops in the center. Restaurants: the fewer foreign tourists, the more locals = better food, lower prices. Good sources of information: Rick Steves: Prague & the Czech Republic; check these websites: http://www.pragueexperience.com http://www.prague-guide.co.uk/ Useful newspaper in English published weekly: Prague Post. I was able to buy it in Seattle but not any more. Here is website: http://www.praguepost.com

Posted by
3 posts

We stayed at The Arcadia in Prague. What a great apartment! Modern, clean, spacious and quiet. Every morning two ladies came in and put this wonderful breakfast spread on our table - eggs, fruit, cheese, cold cuts, yogurt, cereal, rolls, croissants, pastries, and fresh coffee. What a treat - we could eat breakfast in the comfort of our apartment and have enough to take with us for our lunch if we wanted (which we did!) Pasquale (first name) is the owner, he is a wonderful host and helped us with everything.