Please sign in to post.

Poland

Will have 6 extra days after exploring Prague to either visit the countryside of Czech Republic or venture on to Poland....any suggestions?

Posted by
9110 posts

Poland - - and concentrate on Krakow rather than Warsaw.

Posted by
3696 posts

Thanks Ed I was leaning that way... would you drive or train? I am a photographer so typically like to drive so I can explore and stop whenever I want, but haven't checked into rental car going from Prague into Poland.

Posted by
9110 posts

I drive everywhere. I'm a bit of a nut about going off on tangents so public transportation just doesn't work out for me. I've driven in both the Czech Republic and Poland, but always with cars rented in Germany so I'm an absolute dud on the second part of your question. Racking my brain, I think there was a slight additional fee on one trip, but the guy I was traveling with took care of the car rental - - however, I think it was due to driving in the CR and not Poland. It was something about cutting through the CR or circling up through Dresden and Wroclaw. Anyway, a batch of companies rent in both countries, so it must be workable.

Posted by
4637 posts

In 6 days you've got time to stop in Olomouc (on your way to Krakow) and give it one day. In some way it is like little Prague without crowds. Then you will still have time to see Krakow, Auschwitz, salt mine in Wieliczka and Zakopane and High Tatra mountains. If you are a hiker and will be there in summer or fall high country trails will be free of snow. The mountains are very beautiful, like condensed Alps. Train will be much cheaper than car especially if you plan to rent in Prague and return in Krakow.

Posted by
542 posts

There are some wonderful towns to visit in the Czech Republic. Loket and the spa towns would be fun to photograph. Or you could head south to Tabor, Telc, and the other towns with beautiful public squares. If you go into Poland, it would be convenient to visit Wroclaw. Americans don't seem to visit there, but it's a popular spot for Europeans. The churches on the islands are striking. The "old" town section of Warsaw is also interesting. Krakaw is very popular with Americans and it's tourist-friendly.

Posted by
9110 posts

I ain't anti-Warsaw, I just like Krakow better and it's a shorter drive from Prague. And with a day in and a day out, I could stay real busy around Krakow for four days, maybe not as much so in Warsaw. And I agree with Anita, catch Wroclaw either coming or going.

Posted by
3696 posts

Thanks...if we do rent it will be in and out of Prague. I also am one of those who drive most everywhere, because oftentimes I don't know where I am going till I get there. Poland sounds wonderful and it is someplace I have not been...

Posted by
2876 posts

Have to disagree a bit with Ed's comment about Warsaw. We were in Warsaw 6 months ago and it was terrific. Much more attractive, interesting, and fun than we had anticipated. If you go there, take the "Adventure Tour." It was the highlight of our trip to Poland. (Krakow is awesome too.) This seems obvious, but be sure to tell your rental car company that you're planning to drive into Poland in case they have any restrictions, and to protect yourself in case something happens to the car.

Posted by
14503 posts

Both Warsaw and Krakow are well worth visiting and the time. Krakow came through the war relatively undamaged, whereas Warsaw was systematically demolished. I liked both places but Warsaw had more of what I was interested in seeing. Both places are worth repeated visits.

Posted by
3696 posts

Thanks... any suggestions for hotel in Krakow? Mid-priced...I don't need fancy.

Posted by
2876 posts

We stayed at the Bracka 6 B&B in Krakow and loved it. It has a perfect location in the Old Town, about half a block off Market Square, which is the center of everything in Krakow. The staff in particular (all English speaking) were exceptional. http://en.bracka6.pl/

Posted by
4637 posts

Hotel Saski. Just few steps from Rynek Glowny (Main square). Midrange price, comfortable. Breakfast in price. English spoken. You did not ask about restaurant but just in case: Morskie Oko is a restaurant with typical Polish Food and they have polish folk music from nearby region around Zakopane. Beautiful songs. The restaurant is about 5 minutes walk from the Main Square.

Posted by
3696 posts

Thanks so much for the advice... Just purchased my ticket, so after a photography tour to Budapest, Vienna, and Prague, a few friends and I will be off to Poland. First week of June, so I am assuming good weather and not too many crazy crowds.

Posted by
973 posts

We drove from Prague to Krakoweasily, and stopped at Auschwitz on the drive over- not much of a detour. Hotel Pugetow, supposedly a 3star but seemed nicer; well located, parking lot, near everything, good breakfast, light airy rooms and modern bathroom. Their sister hotels are also good quality. Ilja has good sightseeing suggestions, except having a car with 4 peopel was more convenient for us

Posted by
156 posts

If you're planning to spend 6 nights in Krakow you might want to consider renting an apartment. About 5 yrs ago we rented an efficiency apt with kitchenette, twin beds, laundry facility for about $65/night for 6 nights. Located 1/2 block off the square. Kitchenette was fine for making coffee, light breakfast and keeping cold beer. Clean and very convenient. Will look up the name if you're interested.

Posted by
6 posts

I second the Globetrotter Guest House! That place was great, walking distance to everything and a very friendly staff. They coordinated a driver to take us to Auschwitz and back for a great deal.