Please sign in to post.

One day in Split, Croatia

My husband and I are going on a RC cruise this August and one port will be Split, Coatia. Any suggestions? Has anyone booked an excursion that they enjoyed through the ship? Is it hard to get around on your own? Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted by
86 posts

I can't say that I've ever been on a cruise ship before or done any sort of excursion (in fact I dislike bus tours, because I just find them crunched for time, so I might be a bit biased), but I have been to Split, and its a marvelous city. I think it depends where your ship docks, but everything that you really want to see in Split can be done independently of an excursion. The core of the city, around Diocletian's palace is very condensed and easily walkable and fun to explore on foot. I spent a morning wandering around the complex and that was enough time for me there, and I saw pretty much the entire palace (and I take my time). There is a good chapter in Rick's book on Croatia and Slovenia, and I used that as my guide. That being said, there might be some other options that would make good day trips- that I'm not sure about. Make sure you go to the 'basement' of the palace its very cool-literally and figuratively. Enjoy your trip!