Please sign in to post.

Night Train from Prague to Budapest

Hi, Does anyone have experience traveling from Prague to Budapest and back using a night train? Is there a good website to go to look at schedules and rates? How is the comfort and ease? We are thinking of doing this instead of driving or taking a day train to save a day for extra sightseeing. Thank you.

Posted by
4637 posts

You can use Deutsche Bahn website or Ceske drahy website:www.idos.cz . Comfort depends on what category you buy. On these websites I was not able to find price. I used night trains several times but never got enough sleep on them. Movement and noise.

Posted by
1878 posts

I was looking into this too at one point, and based upon online resources it looked as if there might not be any sleeper compartments (chairs only). And the one from Budapest to Prague that is nonstop arrives at 4am which does not seem very practical. (This is based upon raileurope.com and bahn.de). Maybe I was not good enough at searching, but that is what I found. We managed to devise an itinerary without an overnight train being required. That was done by following Budapest with Olomouc, about 5.5 hours. Longer that I would prefer in one day on the train, but doable. Night trains as a rule, my wife and I have always been able to sleep fine.

Posted by
4637 posts

According to Deutsche Bahn website there are sleeper cars on both overnight trains: Prague to Budapest and Budapest to Prague. True, train from Budapest arrives to Prague at 4:00 am.