Please sign in to post.

New acropolis museum

Someone by now must have visited the just-opened museum in athens. If so, please report on tickets/costs, public transport, close hotels and such? Will be in athens two days at end of september. Larry from springfield.

Posted by
3122 posts

Greetings from Cottage Grove.

Entrance: Public entrance at Dionysiou Areopagitou Street. Entrance for groups at Mitseon Street.

Tour Buses: A bus drop off point for groups is available at Hatzichristou Street and entrance for groups is at Mitseon Street.

Hours:
Tuesday to Sunday: 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.
Monday: Closed.
Last admission: 7.30 p.m.
Galleries cleared at 7.45 p.m.
Closed: 1 January, 25 March, Easter Sunday, 1 May, 25 December and 26 December.

Admission:
General admission fee: 1 euro.
Free entrance for visitors exempted from fee by Greek legislation.

How to purchase tickets:
- Tickets from the Museum Ticket Desk
No restriction exists in the number of tickets available from the Ticket Desk during Museum opening hours.

- Tickets via the e-ticketing service
The Museum website provides an e-ticketing service for a restricted number of visitors during six (6) specific time slots. Tickets bought via e-ticketing can be collected from the Ticket Desk or from the Self-Service Ticketing Kiosks at the Museum entrance.

Map of Athens: http://www.athensguide.com/map/athens.htm

Dionysiou Areopagitou Street is just above the word "Makrygianni" (printed in red) on the south side of the Acropolis/Parthenon. For convenient hotels focus your search on those closest to the Akropolis Metro Station.

Parthenon Hotel, Athens Gate Hotel, Philippos Hotel and Herodion Hotel are all in that area.

Posted by
508 posts

Larry - I was there last year when it was just a preview opening for the first floor. It was a fabulous museum and all I saw was a sampling of the first floor, the ruins underneath and the building. Here's the website in case any of the information changes... http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/?pname=Home&la=2

Also, we stayed at the Hotel Hera twice. It was a great location (close to the metro) and in a quiet area. It's about a block from the metro and museum and a couple of blocks to the edge of the Plaka.

Posted by
12 posts

I am going to Athens in a few weeks and excited to see the museum. Just to be clear- if I go to the museum and purchase tickets, I can enter at any time. But if I order online, I must choose a time slot to go? Is this correct?
Thanks!

Posted by
10344 posts

Here's the website for the new Acropolis Museum, which opened in June of this year after 5 years in the building and decades in the planning!

http://www.newacropolismuseum.gr/eng/

Question: Does anyone know when the Elgin Marbles will be installed?:)

Posted by
10344 posts

Good one, Denny.

Does it surprise you that as late as 2008 Rick was still calling them the Elgin Marbles (his GB 2008 book). At least in his new Athens book "Elgin Marbles" is in quotes. (thank you, oh Great One and/or your editors)

Posted by
632 posts

Denny....that is as good as I've seen here in years!

Posted by
632 posts

A modest alternative proposal: The Elgin Marbles will be returned when the Hermitage returns the "Hidden Treasures" to their rightful owners.

Not as elegent as Denny's comment...but to the same point.

Posted by
10344 posts

Re the controversy over the Parthenon Marbles to Athens, this link is from another topic thread, courtesy of Alan of Brighton, UK

http://www.returnthemarbles.com/sign-petition.php

As late as 2008 Rick was still calling them the Elgin Marbles (Great Britain 2008). In his new Athens book, at least "Elgin Marbles" is in quotes.

Posted by
10344 posts

So, what do ya think, Helpliners?? Should the British Museum return the Parthenon Marbles to Athens?

Posted by
3321 posts

The Hermitage "hidden treasures" parallel is not very exact ... those works of art, wonderful as they may be, should of course be returned; however they were owned by private individuals. The Parthenon Marbles were not the property of individuals, they were the cultural heritage of an entire nation... Lord Elgin struck a bargain with the corrupt representative of an oppressive conquering country (the Athens official appointed by the Ottoman Empire) for "objects fallen from the Parthenon" -- and then engaged crews to BREAK LOOSE huge pediments and metopes and lower them by ropes. He then sold them to the British Museum. He did not have the right to take them, nor did he have the right to sell them.

Hypothetical parallel: remember the 2 massive buddhas destroyed when the taliban controlled Afghanistan? Suppose instead a Westerner paid off the Taliban governor of that province for the right to chisel those buddhas out of the mountainsides and take them away? And then sold them to the Metropolitan Museum or the British Museum? Would it be rightful taking or rightful selling? NO! just as many art works looted by Nazis from Holocaust victims and sold to museums or private parties are FINALLY being returned to their survivors, so the Parthenon marbles should be returned to Greece.

Posted by
30 posts

Just visited the new Acropolis Museum five days ago. Only 1 Euro to get in for the rest of the year.