Please sign in to post.

New Acropolis museum

Hi all

For those going to Athens in the near future the New Acropolis Museum is officially opening today.

I went to the pre-exhibition on the ground floor about 18 months ago and it really is a spectacular building.

Their site is interesting, and has details of opening hours and ticket prices, as well as more information about what is displayed.

http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/default.php?la=2

Cheers
Alan

Posted by
3247 posts

Thanks for the info Alan! It sounds fantastic--you were so fortunate to get a preview!

Posted by
875 posts

I'm so envious. We were there in May prior to the opening. The museum looks beautiful from the outside, and I'd love to go back to Greece to see all its treasures!

Posted by
10344 posts

Alan, or anyone: Do they still want the Elgin Marbles back?

Posted by
445 posts

To KEnt...they certainly do and gavae left an empty spot for them!! (accordingly to the BBC online).

Posted by
10344 posts

Alan & Maryann:

Thank you for the replies! Alan: I read the website (re the latest in the dispute over the return of the Parthenon Marble) with interest. Thank you for that.

The last time I was in the British Museum I was interviewed by a museum employee about my reaction to the place and suggestions (just the standard interview, picked out of the crowd), and when I mentioned the "Elgin Marbles" I was told, politely of course, that the term is no longer used by the Museum. The website article made the same point.

But Rick and/or his editors apparently aren't aware of this, his 2009 London and England books are still rife with the non-PC term "Elgin Marbles."

I even tried sending Rick's editor a note on that but that portion of the site is malfunctioning.