Please sign in to post.

Montenegro

My daughter and i(a young senior citizen)would like to take a bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor. Does anyone have experience in doing this? We'd like to know how to arrange the trip make reservations if needed, approx. how much it costs and how long it takes (including border crossing). If this is fairly easy we'd also like to take a bus from Kotor to Budva.
Thanks, Jan

Posted by
2145 posts

We did this in 2009. It was really easy and I highly recommend it! Montenegro is gorgeous. You don't need reservations on the bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor. We were advised to buy tickets a day ahead of our trip, as the bus can fill up. We did not do this, but got on the bus anyway with no problems. The bus left Dubrovnik around 10 am and arrived at Kotor around 1 pm. We had a long wait (almost an hour) at the border crossing into Montenegro. Tickets for 2 to Kotor cost about $20, I think. Be sure to go out to the Lady of the Lakes island in Kotor. From Kotor to Budva the next day was a relatively short bus ride (1 hour?). It too was very inexpensive and easy (just buy your tickets at the bus station). We had a great hotel in Budva, in Becici ... a southern suburb along the beach. If you're looking for some beach time, this is the place to get it! Our hotel was Stella di Mare ... new, about 2 blocks off the beach, pretty inexpensive, really nice staff. You'll have a great time!

Posted by
80 posts

Hi Jan, Nice choice, the trip thru Kotor Bay is amazing! It sound like the bus system is better than when we took it about 6 years ago. We took the bus from Kotor to Dubrovnik and it took all day. They ped us at the border of Montenegro and we had to walk across, up hill with bags, about a mile. Then we had to wait for a mini bus to come get us at the croatian border, which took a couple of hours. Ever since then we've rented a car and had no problems. The car trip will take about 1 1/2 hours, depending on the border traffic. There is an nate border that avoids any traffic, but it's hard to describe the directions. If you want some flexibility, i would rent a car. Another side trip you might consider is a trip to the top of Mount Lovcen. There are great views and beautiful country side. It's about 1-2 hour ride up the mountain from Kotor. Just a few miles out of Budva is Sveti Stefan, a postcard like view of an old fishermans village built just off the coast. It's now a hotel. When are you going? We travel there a lot if you have any other questions. Erich

Posted by
1570 posts

When we did this about 6-7 years ago, the bus was absolutely packed and a number of folks had to stand for a good portion of the ride. There was a charge for luggage. And the border guard couldn't be bothered with stamping your passport. If it is still the same process, then one of you should get on to get seats and 1 waits to load the luggage.