Please sign in to post.

Meteora, Greece

Can anyone tell me the acceptable dress code for women to tour the monateries at Meteora? One of the travel books I read said that slacks are not permitted.
Thanks!

Posted by
1388 posts

Janis

It's a few years since we've been but it was true then that slacks weren't permitted. However, each monastery had a selection of (generally quite dusty) pieces of material that women could wrap over their trousers as faux skirts.

Alan

Posted by
37 posts

I was there a few years ago, and at that time women couldn't wear slacks/shorts, and skirts had to go to the knees. They also expected shoulders to be covered. I saw quite a few women with long, light-weight shawls (like what you might wear over a bathing costume) wrapped around their waists, like a sarong. That seemed perfectly acceptable to the people who were monitoring the tourists clothing.

Posted by
7569 posts

Yes, I do recall a basket of wraps at each entrance that women could put on, sarong style, to serve as a skirt. My wife always brings a simple peasant skirt, longer, elastic waist that she can slip on quick or even use as beach wear over her swimsuit. Actually, she bought it in Greece.

Posted by
233 posts

Hi Janis
We were there last Oct and yes you are correct, no slacks and bare shoulders must be covered. They do have wraps there. My wife wore a knee length skirt with no problems.

Posted by
875 posts

Thanks everyone! I think we get to tour a couple of the monasteries, and I certainly do not want to be left out.