Please sign in to post.

Kutna Hora

I'm trying to squeeze in a half day in Kutna Hora on my trip to Prague. Unfortunately, the time that seems to work is a Monday when the silver mine is closed. Is it worth a trip for just the ossuary and the cathedral or am I missing a big part the town by not seeing the mine?

Posted by
2326 posts

I did a day trip to Kutna Hora and did not go to the mines - not sure if I missed something amazing, but I enjoyed seeing the ossuary and cathedral and a few parts of the town. I enjoyed seeing the countryside from the train (a lot like Willamette Valley). I took a day trip with Sandeman's New Prague - but they don't go on Mondays (and I disliked the guide, so you may have dodged a bullet). The RS guidebook has good instructions - just be mindful the ossuary is quite a walk from the cathedral (we paid a shuttle van, but it was on a Saturday).

Posted by
7209 posts

The mine is not spectacular, but it IS one of the main touristy things to do. Having been there twice, I probably would NOT make the trip with only the cathedral and ossuary. There are little shops and restaurants dotted around, but KH is not the most "happening" of places to visit.

Posted by
85 posts

Hi Eric - I went to Kutna Hora when I visited Prague. I stayed there on my way to Cesky Krumlov. I did not go see the mine. The bone church and the cathedral are not worth planning a half day trip around. While interesting to see they were disappointing and I wish I would have spent my time differently.

Posted by
2026 posts

I'm with Jerry. We did not visit the mines, but saw the rest. OK but that's about it. The Ossuary can truly be seen in about 5 minutes. As we had allocated the day, we walked into town (don't go with a cheapskate like I did...wait a bit and pay the shuttle from the Ossuary into town) and toured around. The cathedral has melted into the memory of "another church, somewhere". We had a lot of time in Prague, so were not totally honked, but would not bother unless time is not an issue. It was a pleasant enough little train ride, and found a cheap (everyone's happy) Chinese restuarant (one of us is happy). Have a good trip.