Please sign in to post.

Krakow to Budapest

My husband and I will be in Krakow for a few days the end of May and are looking for transportation from there to Budapest. Aside from a 10 + hour train, the only thing we have seen is 7 1/2 hour Orange Ways bus. We have ruled out the Ryanair flight as it arrives around midnight at an out of the way terminal. Seems like there must be a better option than we are seeing. We also want to visit Auschwitz. Are there any connections from there to Budapest? Something that left Krakow early, visited Auschwitz for a few hours and continued on to Budapest would be perfect! Thanks!

Posted by
18580 posts

I know Budapest pretty well and there really isnt anything wrong with Terminal 1 except that there is a good chance that the Terminal will be closed by May and you will end up arriving at the new terminal. Still concerned? A driver can be arranged to meet you in the arrival lobby if that helps but i would recommend you just take a taxi. the worst thing about arriving at midnight is that you will pay a full night at the hotel despite the 1am check in. In general the people in Budapest are kind, warm, honest and helpful to tourists. Oh, another option is to hire a car and driver. I bet you can do it for under $700 and there are a lot of simply amazing sights in Slovakia between Krakow and Budapest. Spend a night on the way to break up the 6 hour drive. Visit a castle or two, see the mountains. Send a PM if I can help.

Posted by
80 posts

Thanks, James for some good information. The only thing is that Ryanair said the flight arrived at T2, but a taxi would probably solve the problem.
Do you know how far out T2 is?

Posted by
18580 posts

Terminal 2 is the modern renovated airport and the preferred arrival terminal. So T2 is where you really want to land. This is a good thing. The only advantage to T1 is it has a train into town, but not at midnight i don't think. And as i said it is closing soon as all Budapest air traffic is significantly reduced due to Malev going bust. The airport has a contracted taxi service named FoTaxi that generally has very good cars and staff with passable English. It takes about 35 minutes to get to most of the tourist hotels. Cost is 5800 forint fixed rate one way and if you keep the receipt the return is discounted. That is about $25. Let me know if i can be of any help.

Posted by
18580 posts

Terminal 2 is the modern renovated airport and the preferred arrival terminal. So T2 is where you really want to land. This is a good thing. The only advantage to T1 is it has a train into town, but not at midnight i don't think. And as i said it is closing soon as all Budapest air traffic is significantly reduced due to Malev going bust. The airport has a contracted taxi service named FoTaxi that generally has very good cars and staff with passable English. It takes about 35 minutes to get to most of the tourist hotels. Cost is 5800 forint fixed rate one way and if you keep the receipt the return is discounted. That is about $25. Let me know if i can be of any help.

Posted by
80 posts

James, thank you so much for all of your information; you have been so helpful. We have decided that the flight is the way to go! Thanks for the tips on the taxi - so helpful! Looking forward to our time in Budapest - can't thank you enough for taking the time to help us! God bless!

Posted by
16 posts

Train. Save a day. It's beautiful rolling through Hungary in the morning. Krakow is your base for Auschwitz. Plan a day for both sites there. Don't shortcut that.