Please sign in to post.

Krakow to Budapest

We are starting in Krakow and heading to Budapest, is there a good train route that does not involve a killer ride.Is there a place that we can travel to by train even stay a day and see some sights then go on to Budapest either the same day or the next. We hear the night train from Krakow to Budapest is a nightmare but we hate 10 day hours on a train as it uses an entire day.

Posted by
156 posts

We flew from Krakow to Budapest. It's a short flight via Malev Airlines and I believe the cost of the flight was about $85-90. I recall reading the train involved changing trains in the very early hours of the morning at some station in NE Hungary. Take the plane. There's a good transit system getting you into Budapest from the airport. Email me with any questions. jamesb@kendallpkg.com

Posted by
4637 posts

If you are in a hurry, fly as Jim suggests. Otherwise take a bus to nearby Zakopane (picturesque town with beautiful surroundings). Then another bus would take you to Poprad in Slovakia- very scenic ride through High Tatras. From Poprad there are many trains to Bratislava and from there short train ride to Budapest. This way you can divide one long train ride into several shorter legs.

Posted by
7 posts

To save time and money, your best bet is to try Wizz air or Sky Europe, or maybe even Air Berlin. The airport from Kracow is Katowice. The airport in Bpest is Ferihegy 1. When you arrive in Bpest, take the 200 bus to the metro for a cheap ride to town (about $3USD total), or the Airport minibus that will take you to any location in Bpest for about USD20, much cheaper than a cab. If you buy a r/t ticket for the minibus they can pick you up at whatever time you need them to from your hotel or apt and bring you back to the airport as well, a great convenience.

The train schedule provided has nothing to do with Poland, and is a schedule to Zagreb, Croatia from what I can tell.

Posted by
448 posts

last sept we took the night train Krakow to budapest..and no problem...though we did book in advance a cabin for 2...upper bunk for my good sleeper husband, bottom bunk for me, the light sleeper, who was awake for the 2 passport checks. "Room" included water, cookies , face cloth and soap plus sink....I'm not "brand new" and i loved it. Left Krakow late (around 10) arrived Budapest around 800am...can't really remember the times...Anyhow, it was NOT a nightmare!!..I guess the only issue would be making the booking...and husband was in charge of that.
Both Krakow and Budapest special...could have used more time in Budapest..