Please sign in to post.

Klaipeda, Lithuania

Has anyone spent any time in Klaipeda? We may have an opportunity to spend a semester at a university there and would love to hear from people who have visited Lithuania in general or Klaipeda more specifically.
Thank you in advance.
Betty

Posted by
12040 posts

I haven't been to Klaipeda, but I've spent time in Vilnius. My mother, however, loved Klaipeda.

Vilnius, in my opinion, is one of Europe's lesser-known gems. Imagine Prague before the invasion of tourists and souvenir shops, together with an explosion of Baroque architecture, to get a sense of Vilnius. They city doesn't have a world-beating selection of museums, but it has an insane number of beautiful churches. A wonderful walking city.

Posted by
194 posts

Hi Betty,

I spent about 10 days in Lithuania about eight and a half years ago. I was in Klaipeda, but to be honest, I can't remember too much about it. We spent the night there and then went south to Neringa to swim. I really enjoyed everything about Lituania. I traveled with three people from Lithuania, and we covered a lot of ground: Kaunas, Vilnius, Trakai, Siauliai, Mazeikiai, etc. The people were really nice, the towns and scenery were beautiful, and everything, at that time, anyway, was relatively inexpensive. I would highly recommend taking advantage of the opportunity.

Posted by
12 posts

Hi,
I was born and raised in Lithuania, so perhaps I can provide some insight for you on this matter. Klaipeda is a port city, and one of the biggest cities in Lithuania. It has pretty good nightlife, but for the most part is rather urban. It will however serve as a good base to explore the Curonian spit. Definitely visit Juodkrante and Nida, relaxing and beautiful beachside towns with a much more laid back pace of life and far more beautiful sights.
Also I feel compelled to tell you that the recent worldwide economic slump has had some tangible impact on the crime rates in Lithuania, and Klaipeda has certainly been no exception. If you are street smart and vigilant you shouldn't have too many problems but it is certainly something to consider.
Let me know if you have any more specific questions.